We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki in November - suggestions

13 posts
Aitutaki in November - suggestions

Hello everybody,

I will be visiting Aitutaki at the end of November for the first time. I have two full days plus second half of the arrival day. I will be staying at Aitutaki budget accommodation, which also provides bicycles, so I will not be renting a car or a scooter. I am looking for advice on places to add/remove from the list.

1. Lagoon cruise: Looks like Vaka is the most popular, but in my head it seems really crowded with the day trippers from Rarotonga. The one that looks the best to me is Teking. For those of you who did the tour with Bishop or Kia Orana, were you happy with it?

2. Beaches and snorkeling: beach past the end of old runway, one foot island (lagoon cruise), Ootu beach. There is a lot of islets, which ones would you recommend?

3. Random: Piraki lookout, Mangapu viewpoint, CICC church, Moturakau walk.

4. Sunrise, sunset, stargazing.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,666 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Aitutaki in November - suggestions

The Vaka cruise isn't busy late November. Most visitors arrive into the Cook Islands over winter, through to the paddling comps mid November. But see which cruise, including to several islets that will suit your interests best.

The lagoon alongside Matriki, Tamanu Beach and Vaikoa is very nice for a swim and snorkel.

Walk inland from Paradise Cove for vantage points and hikes. Using cycles you should be able to cover a lot of ground including riding the distance to Ootu beach/channel. Take plenty of fresh water with you.

Koru cafe at Ootu is great for a meal and cold drinks.

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
24 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: Aitutaki in November - suggestions

We are avid snorklers so prefer the smaller boats with less people. They get you straight out to the snorkelling spots.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Aitutaki in November - suggestions

Here in Aitutaki right now. Do the Bishops cruise of the reef. Not too many tourists. Easy to ride your bikes everywhere if you want. Definitely go to Ooto Beach area, stunning. This is where the cruises leave from.

Reply to: Aitutaki in November - suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.