We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to the Lagoon

Bury St. Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
Walking to the Lagoon
Save

We are on the Paul Gaugain ship, can we get to the lagoon from the tender dock, ie can we walk or take a bus??? Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
39 reviews
57 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Hi CURLYSANDY

If you type in “Arutanga Harbour Aitutaki” into Google Maps you will see where the Tender arrives.

If you view in satellite mode and zoom out you will see the lagoon that surrounds the island with the deeper / bluer part of the lagoon to the south of the island.

If you speak to one of the crew of the Paul Gauguin they may do an excursion to the deeper parts of the lagoon or check out local operators who do lagoon cruises, see link below.

https://blackpearlaitutaki.com/contact/

There are no buses on Aitutaki

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,662 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Kia Ora CURLYSANDY, welcome to the Aitutaki forum.

The best means of access to the larger lagoon area is by booking through a cruise tour. Cruise passengers are taken to the lagoon boats and returned to Arutanga wharf for tender back to the cruise ship.

If you prefer not to undertake an organised ship tour, all of Aitutaki and its islets are surrounded by a coral reef. From Arutanga wharf, walk north of this area until you can find access to the lagoon from one of the sports fields in the Amuri area. Alternatively, pre-arrange a taxi to meet your arrival and to transport you to Ootu beach. This channel location faces down the passage with distant views of the wider lagoon. Request a short tour of Aitutaki island ahead of reaching Ootu.

Food aand drinks are available at Ootu, at one of the licenced cafes.

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Returning to Aitutaki after many years. We were dissapointed to find out that it’s now a cruise destination. How often are rhe visits and has there been any major upgrades to accommodate this?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,662 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Aitutaki has been a cruise destination for many years. Not a sudden development, and I know that several Aitutakians have actively encouraged cruises vessels to visit. The good news is that there aren't many vessels stopping over, and the Paul Gaugin is a small ship focusing on eco-tourism.

Aitutaki has spent the past year re-developing the port in Arutanga to provide for better tender access from cruise ships and cargo ship transfers.

Most visitors enjoy a day-trip on Aitutaki lagoon as a number one priority.

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Thanks for the quick reply. It’s obviously been longer than we thought since our last visit. We noticed a difference in Raratonga when the cruises started to visit and still like to think of Aitutaki as a tranquil oasis in a hectic world.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,662 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

Aitutaki is undergoing expansion! Lots of new activity taking place this year. Cruise ships on Rarotonga, from memory, began in the early 1960's. My parents were involved in welcoming cruise ships through the Chamber of Commerce and it was rich and influential passengers who came ashore. Several of my relatives then became entertainers in those cruise ship days. Nothing new. Even when my grandfather travelled from the USA to NZ, cruise passengers were hosted and feted. Long may that premise remain to our shores.

All Good as we frequently say on Rarotonga.

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking to the Lagoon
Save

I bow to greater knowledge. I am probably relating the Raratonga cruises to the port upgrades about 20? Yrs ago. It seemed to me to make a big change to the port/market area. But as you say all is good. We’re really looking forward to our trip.

Reply to: Walking to the Lagoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.