We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA wants to visit your world

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
USA wants to visit your world
Save

Greeting from Texas - Hope the islands are finally making some good income as I can’t imagine how hard the Covid situation hit your island chain. Just checking in with the local “brain trust” any ideas when the N Hemisphere people might get to visit? I suspect the LAX deal is done for some years but there are plenty of airlines to utilize I’m sure! This was my retirement trip in 21’ that never happened 😐

Thanks in advance and best wishes to you all. Rob

10 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,654 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

WElcome back to the forums, Rob.

Until you receive a reply from the Aitutaki DE, one comment. Currently, it isn't easy to reach the Cook Islands from the US. You could fly down to NZ, then come back north to the Cook Islands from Auckland with Air NZ. Adds more distance to travel plans, and very likely an overnight stay in Auckland.

Tahiti is one possibility with Tahiti Nui airlines, and to connect with the resumed Air Tahiti/Air Raro code-shared flight?

No-one is rushing to fill the gap of the previously subsidised Air NZ direct flight from LAX to Raro.

We got through the covid scare well. King tides and the flu virus are at present our major concerns for the Cook Islands.

Take care and I hope that your trip to our shores will be possible. Kia manuia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

Rob,

The LAX-Rarotonga flight is not being reinstated apparently. But there is some good news. You can still fly LAX-Papeete and Air Raro have just announced a flight from Papeete to Rarotonga. It leaves at 8am and is timed to connect with the overnight LAX flight which arrives in Papeete around 5.30am.

Hope that helps!

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

This is wonderful news and or we might stay on Moorea for a bit too as I have like a million Hilton points so we might get to experience two of the best island chains in the Pacific! Thanks so much for the super news !

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

Rob,

Having done some more research...

The Papeete to Raro flight is only once a week apparently leaving Tahiti 8am Sunday morning (so connects well with the Saturday night flight from LAX which is due to land at Papeete at 5.30am).

The return flight from Raro to Papeete is 2.20pm on Saturday.

Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
61 posts
64 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

Yeah at the moment everyone from outside of the Cook Islands and from outside of New Zealand has to fly through Auckland international airport in New Zealand in order to fly to the Cook Islands.

They may change this situation by the end of 2022 or they may just wait until 2023 to bring those LAX flights back.

Air Rarotonga - the Cook Islands domestic airline carrier - has finally brought back their flights to Papeete Airport in Tahiti for instance so hopefully things will change again soon back to the services pre COVID lockdowns.

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
87 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

Thanks so much for looking at this so closely ! Awesome Info !

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
96 posts
103 reviews
64 helpful votes
7. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

If you have not yet been able to make it to the Cook Islands, it will be getting much easier in May 2023. Hawaiian Airlines is scheduled to begin service to RAR from HNL in late May and it will be a once per week service leaving on Saturdays and returning to HNL on Sundays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

An old post but new update Air Raro now fly twice a week from Papeete to Rarotonga departing Wednesdays and Sundays (Saturdays from 2024). The return flight Raro-Papeete is Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thankfully flights are still timed to connect reasonably well with the overnight flight from LAX to Papeete ie the overnight from LAX usually lands in Papeete between 5-6am and the flight to Raro leaves 8:40am

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
26 helpful votes
9. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

We flew the LAX PPT RAR route in January of this year. Overnighted in PPT but that was easy and the flight to RAR on Air Rarotonga the next morning was great! Arriving on a small plane makes things quicker.

In 2024 we will be flying with Hawaiian air LAX HNL RAR. Much less expensive and no overnight in HNL.

It would still be nice if ANZ would reinstate their direct LAX a RAR flight but I’m not holding my breath.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,654 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
10. Re: USA wants to visit your world
Save

Air NZ are focusing upon their key NZ routes for the time being. They walked away from the offer to accept the subsidy from the Cook Islands government to resume the RAR - LAX route. Hence Hawaiian Airlines took up the subsidy instead, as did Air Raro/Air Tahiti with their code share subsidyfrom Papeete to Raro, return.

Reply to: USA wants to visit your world
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.