We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking with Kids

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
110 posts
10 reviews
19 helpful votes
Hiking with Kids
Save

We will be in Osa the first week of August. We are stay at Laguana in Carate. We will be traveling with our girls 10 and 7.

Any advice for hiking with children?

What should they wear hiking? I am worried about snakes.

Should I bring rain boots for them? We have water hiking shoes for them but I was thinking rain boots may offer them more protection.

We have been to Costa Rica before but we never did serious hiking with the kids.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
65,807 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Hiking with Kids
Save

Water hiking shoes are OK...and I like to recomend long pants

Hiking around Carate is lovely but please common sense

roadadvsiro-

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
462 posts
38 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Hiking with Kids
Save

The person in front will encounter anything that may come your way first. Whether it be a snake, spider web etc. Kids typically are not that observant and should not lead the pack. This is my advice from hiking with my boys (who are now 22&24). I never will forget the face on my youngest who was face to face with a huge spider in a web crossing our path.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
19,491 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: Hiking with Kids
Save

In our experience, only closed footwear for hiking, especially in Osa. It's not just what you mentioned, it's fire ants, too. Impossible to predict, right on the path, in a manner of seconds, affecting the following days of the vacation. Stay on paths, do not lean onto tree trunks, sit on logs or rocks, reach underneath any, or grab onto any vegetation where you don't see what is there. Your kids need to be able to follow the instructions, no matter how appealing touching smth or reaching into smth might seem to them. In Osa, some lodges offer rain boots for the guests. Bring high nylon socks, like for soccer, which would go above the top of the boots, or the rubber boots might be uncomfortable. And bandages. Ask your hotel if they offer rain boots and what sizes. I wouldn't fly with rubber boots, but I can't imagine heading to Osa without good hiking shoes with non-slipping soles. Wear those on the fight, bring flip flops and water shoes or water sandals in your luggage.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
21 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Hiking with Kids
Save

The last thing I’d do is bring good hiking shoes to the Osa. In Corcovado we were hiking on flooded trails, ankle deep. Then we waded upriver waist deep. Bring your oldest most beat up pair of shoes to hike in so you can throw them away if necessary at the end of the trip. If your kids like hiking in closed toe sandals like Keens, I would consider that option. Makes stream crossings much easier. The day hike into Corcovado from Carate is primarily a beach hike. Rain boots are inexpensive in Costa Rica. I’d buy some in San Jose or Puerto Jimenez if you think they’re necessary. The guides mostly wear rain boots, but we never have asI get blisters easily.

Reply to: Hiking with Kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.