We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

England, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Smoking
Save

Come on Budva/Montenegro sort out your awful smoking policy.

The weather went down hill last two days of my holiday, sitting inside bars/restaurants and smelling all them awful cigarettes was a real shocker.

Fantastic place to holiday, great people, but give your and my lungs a rest.

I was in Rome 2003 and it was the same, people smoking while eating!!

Went back two years later, no smoking anywhere.

Couldnt sit in Harley Davidson bar, couldnt breath, Hemingway bar the same...and by no means the only ones...Caspers etc...etc

Due to rain had a day trip to Podgorica (bus driver was smoking!)and for the 1st time ever had to suffer smoking in Hard Rock..

Wondering what anyone else thinks?

Neuenhagen, Germany
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Smoking
Save

Montenegro dos not have to obey orders from Brussels yet, so it's up to the Montenegrins to decide whether they want smoke in restaurants or not. Love it, tolerate it, or leave it...

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
2. Re: Smoking
Save

There is a big movement to try change things but this is going to take a while unfortunately- legally it is not allowed but wit no one putting the pressure on and 95% of locals being smokers there is not anyone to enforce it.

Porto Montenegro in Tivat is all non smoking and there are also some great cafes and restaurants starting to pop up in Podgorica too.

One day...... one day!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
57 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Smoking
Save

Harley Davidson Bar is mostly outside though which I think it is fine to smoke at. I smoke too, but I cut it back when people eat. Never really had an issue at that perticuclar bar with smoke. Seems odd to me

Durham
Level Contributor
303 posts
65 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Smoking
Save

It is surprising to people from Britain I think. We have for a long while now not had this. I do think that, even some of the better restaurants, could at least have a no smoking area.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
57 reviews
56 helpful votes
5. Re: Smoking
Save

Well, Montenegro is pretty much run by the cigarette mafia, Not dangerous or anything like that, but that cigarette laws are rather limited does not come surprising

1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Smoking
Save

I'll leave it. Having read this topic, I've decided not to go to Montenegro. They won't be getting tourist income from me.

1 post
7. Re: Smoking
Save

Likewise. I was just about to book a trip there, but this post swayed me against it. If there was a country that had banned smoking outright, it would be top of my list.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
298 posts
183 reviews
82 helpful votes
8. Re: Smoking
Save

The original post on this thread was from a year ago. Are the smoking laws in Montenegro still non-existent and do many people still smoke? I was thinking of traveling there with my daughter, but am now hesitating.

england
Destination Expert
for Montenegro
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
107 reviews
97 helpful votes
9. Re: Smoking
Save

The laws aren’t non-existent. The problem is enforcement, although in reality, in the vast majority of restaurants, you won’t find it a problem. Most people that do smoke in bars will sit at tables outside, so in that respect it’s no different to the UK. I can’t remember having a meal ruined by smokers, and my wife hates people smoking near her food.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
298 posts
183 reviews
82 helpful votes
10. Re: Smoking
Save

@Shaun1967: Thank you! I'm really sensitive to smoke (and my mother died of lung cancer...), so am glad to hear none of your meals were ruined by smoke. Besides restaurants, did you smell cigarette smoke in hotels, on the street, on buses, etc? Thanks again

Get answers to your questions about Budva
US$USD
New Zealand
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.