We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

Hi Members of TA,

I will be at staying one night at Yudanaka Yasuragi in late Feb to see Snow Monkey & experience the onsen. Arriving at Haneda, get breakfast then travel down to Nagano/Yudanaka the same day.

I am from the tropic, no snow here at all. Thought If would be a lovely experience if I can include a trip to Shiga Kogen since the place is close by and is Winter when I'm there.

Is a special trip up to Shiga Kogen for the view & to experience the admospher worth the trouble? How can I make it happened? Also the approximate cost & time needed to travel there.

4 replies to this topic
Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

Also I read somewhere in this forum about Shiga Kogen is accessible by bus and that you can take gondola trips to heights affording excellent scenery.

This looks like something I'm keen to do... any tips and suggestion on how I can do this will be most grateful.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,883 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

It's highly possible that even in Yudanaka onsen and the snow monkey park that snow would be around in late Feb.

Though Yokoyama in SK at around 2000m has nice views, it might be a bit tricky to get up and back down by ski lifts for non-skiers.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

I go Shiga Kogen frequently. I met a Chinese tour group who don't ski at an onsen hotel in Yokote mountain (Yokoteyama/横手山), I gussed they came for a snow field experience. And I also met some people who come Shiga Kogen for photography every year. They don't ski, but go up the top of the mountain.

As #2 poisting is said, there is an ovservation deck overlooking Japan Alps at the top of Yokote; and many are relaxing at a coffee shop there (used to be a starbucks) .

If you won't/cant' ski and like to do an acitivity, there are several snow shoe hiking tours at Yokote and Yakebi mountains in SK; you will sign-up in advance at Nature Center in the tourist association (Shiga Kogen Sogo Kaikan98 building).

https:/…

Now is the details is for summer/autum hiking:

http://shizenhogo-center.shigakogen.gr.jp/en/

From Snow Monkey park to SK is not far. There is a bus, taking within 30 min. The bus fare is 580 yen from Snow Monkey park to "Sun Valley" ski resort in SK. Once you are at SK, the shuttle bus between SK mountain resorts are free.

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?

Thanks DLi_hk & Junechan for responding & tips.

@DLi_hk - snow at Yudanaka: Precisely why I am going in Feb 2019..haha. No snow where I come from and so wanting the experience + onsen/ryokan. Killing a few birds with one stone by going Yudanaka.

Junechan - thanks for the info on SK. I heard of Ryuoo Ski Park - between Ryuoo & SK, which is nearer and easier to visit within 3 hours (to/fro)? Or you referrring to same place?

If possible I want to experience the snow field since I'm so nearby. Never know when I will come around a ski resort in the future.

All tips and suggestions welcome !

Reply to: Yamanouchi to Shiga Kogen -non skier, worth a trip up there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nagano