We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lockers at JR Himeji

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Lockers at JR Himeji

Planning a stopoff at Himeji on the way from Hiroshima to Osaka.

Are there lockers available at JR Himeji?

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298191-i11755-k84…

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
337 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

Yes in verious sizes.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

The supply of lockers in the JR station is limited; however, there are many other options. First, be aware that lockers are at two or more locations within the JR train station. If you have exhausted these possibilities, exit the JR train station toward Himeji Castle and take the sidewalk to your left. There is an additional set of lockers in a room several tens of meters in that direction. If you still haven't found a vacant locker, cross the street in the direction of Himeji castle and inquire at the nearby bus station; they have many lockers and if these are all full or too small then they may even be willing to manually check your luggage behind their counter in exchange for a modest fee. If that doesn't work, there are many lockers at the nearby Sanyo Himeji train station, which is completely separate from the JR train station. Finally, there are a few lockers at the Himeji Castle site itself; however, if you haven't yet found any vacant ones, then chances are slim that you'll find any at Himeji Castle.

I know all of this because I had the misfortune to travel to Himeji via shinkansen with a party of 9 all with rolling luggage, on a very busy holiday travel weekend. This may well be a worst case scenario. We eventually found places to stash our luggage. The people at the JR station and the Himeji tourist information center know less about lockers than you do, now that you have read this message.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3504.html

Mentioned in this post
Himeji Castle
Himeji Castle
4,365 Reviews
Himeji, Japan
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Vietnam
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

Yes they have but they can be quite costly. I've used the one outside Sanyo Himeji station (about 2mins away) and they come in various sizes - you will be able to fit both backpacks and luggages. Be sure to keep your receipt carefully after you get a locker as you will need it afterwards. I had to empty my bag my entire bag the last time looking for it!

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

There are a lot of lockers in the redesigned station, both in the JR side as well as in Sanyo Station. There are lockers at the castle as well, though not as many. There are also smaller lockers available in the larger stores between the station and castle.

Unfortunately there aren't any great online maps of the lockers; you'll see some before you leave the gate. For the others it's probably best to ask a station attendant.

John W.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

At the time when I checked luggage at the bus station counter, the price was somewhat higher than the price of a coin locker at the train station. I still thought that it was quite reasonable, at a time when I couldn't find a locker elsewhere.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

We were there last year during the busy weekend of the Sakura season when it seems half the world was at Himeji. We could not find lockers near the exit of the Shinkansen. But when we walked further away from the exit, we found some available lockers. There are many lockers at the station but they are located in many different corners.

www.mumstravels.com

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
823 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

Sawasdee,

Thank you OP and the posters for the information.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

thank you very much for your post- very helpful information

MEL
Level Contributor
22 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lockers at JR Himeji

I'm sitting in the station now and want to add more precise info.

1) there is a small group of lockers behind the escalator for platform 11 (shinkansen). The big lockers (8) go fast.

2) there is a very small set of lockers one floor down, on the concourse between the Central and East exits.

3) there is a large group of lockers near the southern side of the station. Take the Central ticket exit, then turn left towards the southern building exit, then turn left after the exit and very soon you'll find some lockers on the side of the building and then a room of lockers.

4) the lockers mentioned by a previous contributor on the northern (castle) north of the building, plus the ones further away at the castle and Koen-ko.

5) there are some lockers (I only saw the sign) in the Grand Plaza (?) Underground shopping centre, just north of the station.

I think many people travelling with large cases in Japan skills really consider the takkyubin services (parcel/luggage courier) from/to hotel/airport/etc. It's often less than 20,000¥ and reduces stress significantly.

Edited: 03 October 2016, 23:24
Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Himeji