We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you're heading to HIMEJI

sydney
1 post
2 reviews
If you're heading to HIMEJI

Hey all!

Just thought i'd give some advice and recommendations here real quick.

If you're planning on going to himeji castle i suggest just getting the combination ticket with the garden included at the start. You cannot pay the difference after you purchase a single ticket for either. Tea ceremony in the garden was a nice cultural experience although my partner and I had ZERO idea of what we were meant to be doing even with the lainated manual they give you on paying the entry free for the tea ceremony (I think from memory it was about 500 yen)

Himeji castle was very nice and different to Osaka castle. Less of a museum exhibition.

On walking from the station to the castle. it is definitely doable as my partner and I did it in Japanese summer (v. HOT and HUMID)

just a last side note, on the way back from the garden towards to station we found a great little second hand clothing store with womens and mens kimonos/yukatas for the cheapest we saw the whole time travelling around japan. on firt look... it looks super run down and fairly dodgy. if you see a bag of cat food and a small tv playing japanese drama. you have the right place. the old man that runs the shop wasn't there at the time that we were looking to purchase but soon enough came riding on a bicycle down the road to greet us and help us as best he could. with little english he communicated just great. If we weren't so pressed for time and luggage space I wouldv't spent more time looking at other yukatas. To be completely honest, this old man made my day at himeji. his shop is on the right hand side of the road as you walk back to the station. My partner didn't have change for a 10000 yen note and the shop keeper promptly took the note (we invested a great deal of trust in him at the time haha!) and got on his bicycle to ride to a convenience store down the road to get change (sure enough he returned otherwise this wouldv't been a very different review).

If there's anything I could recommend it would be to have a look at this little gem of a shop. (don't judge a book by its cover)

7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

good info, jas0310

Thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
115 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

Great info, thanks. We are heading there on Sep 8th 2018.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 07:28
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,011 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

I might want to add that it is not really necessary to go inside the castle as the beauty is from the outside. Just as you reach the main road in front of the castle there is a sign that points to the right, where you can walk 200m for a great vantage point for photographing the beautiful castle

Yachiyo, Japan
Level Contributor
264 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

I had a very comfort feeling from your experience at Himeji.

I will also do my best to help foreign people same as the old Japanese but with some advertizing.

…blogspot.com/2018/08/where-to-stay-to-visit…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,804 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

The inside of the castle is pretty interesting. However, there is a lack of good signage. To enjoy the castle more thoroughly, it's best to do some research in advance so you know a little bit more about what you will be seeing.

Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
210 reviews
6. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

The inside of the castle is very interesting. You can download the free app with the audio guide and Augmented Reality which shows you defensive/hidden features of the castle you would miss or not appreciate and there is narration/description in English..

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
386 reviews
7. Re: If you're heading to HIMEJI

It is a matter of taste, but I found the inside of the castle interesting. There are signs in varios places talking about some of the architectural features.

Reply to: If you're heading to HIMEJI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Himeji