We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Himeji Castle or another castle?

Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Himeji Castle or another castle?

Hi, we're travelling to Japan in 3 weeks in August with two kids 8 & 10. We would like to go to a Japanese castle so I was thinking we could stop off at Himeji Castle on our way from Hiroshima to Kyoto. However, this would be on a Sunday so I understand it will be busy. We will also have our luggage with us and from my reading I see that locker storage is limited. And its also going to be hot, so I am not keen on long lines with two kids in the heat.

Is Himeji worth it or will it be easier to visit another castle in Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya or Tokyo (we are staying in these places too)? We want to see a Japanese castle somewhere, but convenience is a major factor for us with the kids. Is Himeji worth the extra effort, or can we get a similar experience elsewhere with less fuss? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Himeji Castle
Himeji Castle
4,365 Reviews
Himeji, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

>>do go and see Nijo in Kyoto as it's a palace

Well, I don't see what "palace" means here, but Nijo Castle is not related to Imperial family. It is not a typical Japanese castle but a nice site.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

Thanks for all your helpful replies! Definitely the kind of advice I was looking for and has given me lots to consider. The information on gardens has been helpful too, we are keen to see those. I will do more research on some of the other castles suggested, thanks again.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

Just remember the time you will be visiting, which is August - extreme heat and humidity, and main tourist season. So pace yourself, esp with children, and try to pack more in early AM than hot and humid PM into early evening.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

Drinking sugarless cold tea or water and taking rest in the aircon-ed places once in a while is recommended in Summer. Hats also prevent direct sunlight.

England
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

One word: Matsumoto.

Mentioned in this post
Matsumoto
Matsumoto
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
16. Re: Himeji Castle or another castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2018, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Himeji