We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

Hello,

Is going to Okunoshima (rabbit island) in the morning and then to Himeji in the afternoon as a day trip from Kyoto doable? Is it a worthwhile day trip at the end of June? Any advice on the best way to get there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,457 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

Please refer to train schedule : www.hyperdia.com

and ferry schedule: gethiroshima.com/features/…

Is it possible? Yes. Will I do these 2 same day from Kyoto? No.

1 way Kyoto - ferry dock for Okunoshima 3 hours . Ferry schedule does not always match up with the train arrival so you could be spending some time waiting for the next ferry.

Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

It is not a matter of "best way", there is only one way to achieve, but a matter of checking train and ferry timetables and Castle open hours in advance, and acting as planed by all means.

If you are willing to start by 7AM and finish after 8PM, eat lunch on the train/station or at the park as fast as possible, then one day trip is doable.

Edited: 25 February 2017, 16:13
Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

You may consider stay a few nights in Okayama or Hiroshima and go to Okunoshima as a day trip. Stop by Himeji on the way.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

If I were to do it (and I admit it sounds like an intriguing trip to try!), if you got to Himeji Castle at 9:00 when the gates open, you could possibly be on the 11:10 shinkansen, changing at Mihara for Tadanoumi, arriving by 1:17. You could take a later train, since the ferry leaves at 2:30. At the end of June, the sun sets at 7:00, which gives you plenty of time; you could actually spend another hour in Himeji and do Kokoen, taking the 3:30 ferry (there is a train that gets you there by 3:15, and it looks to be a five minute walk). Note that I've never been to Tadanoumi station or Okunoshima, and don't know what you're options are for food around there; but this could be an interesting adventure!

John W.

5. Re: Himeji & Okunoshima Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2018, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Himeji