We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

Hello Himeji Experts

I am planning a day trip to Himeji from Osaka in late December. I would like to visit Himeji Castle, Kokoen Garden & Mt Shosan. I will be taking the ropeway up Mt Shosan and walk down. As day light is short in December, should I visit Mt Shosan first, then Kokoen Garden and last Himeji Castle? I plan to reach Himeji at 9.30 am.

Thank you in advance.

Sim

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

My suggested route is to get to Himeji fairly early and take the bus straight to Shosha. Then take the bus from there to the castle, where you'll buy the combo ticket for the castle and Kokoen. This might also be a good time to do lunch. Do the castle first, then Kokoen; if time runs out, you'll definitely want to see the castle. The bus will say in English (usually) where you'll get off for the castle, but truthfully you cannot miss it.

If you are interested, there is a small hill just west of the castle that has excellent views of the fortress and surrounding areas. It's called Otokoyama; there are a hundred or so steps up, but the view is worth it, particularly if you are there at twilight.

Good luck!

John W.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,457 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

Last entrance to the garden 4:45. Last entrance to the castle 5:30.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

worthj1970 and bibimbob, thank you for your replies. Much appreciated.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,749 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

Hi,

I would visit Himeji Castle first. I visited the castle and Kokoen garden but not Mt Shosan last month.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
369 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

We did the town and castle 6 hrs the town was in a kimono fest whole bunch of children wearing kimonos. The castle has some serious climbing steps you have to take off your shoes.

6. Re: Day trip to Himeji from Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2018, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Himeji