We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Was coming back from seeing Tiesto at Illuzions on Nov 3rd. We were staying in Karon Beach at this point. Just before getting to the K beach roundabout there was a police roadblock. Being Canadian, I assumed it was to see if the driver had been drinking. But to my surprise my niece and I were asked to get out of the tuk tuk and then they asked where we were from and then empty my pockets. The cop then took my wallet and opened every flap and pocket leaving nothing to chance. He then did this to my niece and her wallet/purse. We were then allowed to go.

Just posting this as a warning to let others know that the Thai police don’t mess around w drugs and to ask if this is a normal occurrence in Patong and the surrounding area?

54 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
957 posts
138 reviews
1. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Never heard of this happening. Maybe a tip off about someone else?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
2. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

I've been searched for drugs thoroughly on Koh Tao and halfheartedly in Phuket in Kata area. Apparently drug searches are common on Phangan as well, especially during the party dates.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Oh, and once very near Khao San Road.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,614 posts
169 reviews
4. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

" Just posting this as a warning to let others know that the Thai police don’t mess around w drugs "

Is this a warning to drug users ?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
5. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

who else would it e a warning to...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

its not common for phuket, just part of the new cop binges and hey its actually working they are getting an enormous amount of busts with zillions of drugs.

all power to them,well done boys.

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Are you sure they were looking for drugs, not ID fraud or some stolen item?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
8. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

It'll be drugs. Most debit cards (not sure about credit) don't have names on them anyway.

Level Contributor
931 posts
1 review
9. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

I note they did not ask for ID which would the first thing they would do for a person they thought was Thai, Lao, Cambodian etc. 🙄

London, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs

Good on the Thai police then. If you haven't got anything you shouldn't have then nothing to worry about. If you have drugs on you then you deserve to be locked up.

Reply to: Police Roadblock Searching for Drugs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Patong
Recent Conversations