We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Hi all!

I am looking to map out a walking tour of Jaffa. I was wondering if there is a specific landmark or street(s) that define the borders of the old city of Jaffa. Looking to spend a few hours exploring the area, visiting the market and having lunch. Bonus points if there is an awesome narghila bar in the area and/or a place that serves some great Turkish coffee (my favorite!)

If anyone can offer a "starting point" and "ending point" that covers most of the sites, I can play around with street view on google map to come up with a solid game plan.

Thanks as always you guys are all awesome!

2 weeks and 1 day until I leave for Tel Aviv!,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

The clock tower is your landmark in Jaffa. If you are approaching the area from the north, on the left side of the clock tower you'll find the flea market and Dr. Shakshuka, a great lunch spot. On the right side of the street you'll find the small area known as "Old Jaffa." It's quite tiny. The centerpiece in Old Jaffa is the Pisga Park with its fabulous lookout over Tel Aviv. Another landmark there is St. Peter's Church. Behind the church you'll find steps leading down to the port of Yafo, and another area of restaurants.

england
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
1 review
2. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

if you have time visit the the Ilana Goor museum

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Thanks to both of you. This is very helpful.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1,439 reviews
4. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

There's a clock tower with the Turkish prison/governor's house right there in the center of Jaffa. From there, it is an easy walk to the Old City, which has many alleyways and nooks and crannies; hard part is to see it all, but it is pretty easy to do. Can also walk along the port. Had a fun breakfast of shakshuka, where else, but at Dr. Shakshuka's (which is in town, not in the old city); also a fun flea market in town and a couple of other sites. It's a colorful and interesting place to walk around.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Did you use their official website?

http://oldjaffa.co.il/?CategoryID=212

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1,439 reviews
6. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Bough a travel book that was just on Tel Aviv (published this year...don't have it anymore, and don't remember the name) that included walking tours of different Tel Aviv neighborhoods, including Jaffa. We just used that.

Rome, Italy
7 posts
7. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

One of my friends told me to spend some time in Tel-Aviv. I want to consider this option. Could I spend a day in Tel-Aviv, take tour buses to get to know the city better? Or do you think an overnight stay in Tel-Aviv is much better? What are the must-see places in Tel-Aviv? Is it advisable to see Tel-Aviv first before Jerusalem or take the tour in Tel-Aviv at the tail end of the pilgrimage?

Thanks for your input.

Ramsee16529

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1,439 reviews
8. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Jerusalem has the history; Tel Aviv has the new, the urban, the modern Israel. It's your call as to whether that meets your interest. I like to get the flavor of a country; it's hard to do so with just one locale. Tel Aviv is an interesting city with a lot happening from markets to arts to financial decision making. There is the beach alongside it, too, not to mention traveling north along the coast. Jafa is an old and interesting city and nearby Tel Aviv. Recommend checking out, either online or by travel guide, these places and decide for yourself. Jerusalem is the major attraction though, so first or last, it will stay with you forever. Happy travels.

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
322 reviews
9. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

Tel Aviv can be visited for a day, but if you are interested in nightlife you may want to spend the night there for the experience. There is the historical center which is only 115 years old, the beach, many museums and a great market you can visit. How much time you want to spend is up to you. There is a tour bus, but nothing like in Rome. It gives an overview but you are better off just touring on your own.

Chana

Israel

10. Re: Self Guided Jaffa Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Jaffa