We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Hi Everyone, Sent a parcel to a family Royal Mail Airmail on 22nd March and spoke to them today and they still haven't received it, i have never sent a parcel before but would like to know how long it usually takes Royal Mail Airmail, it was just clothes and sweets etc and some pictures and letters.

Any help appreciated

Lauren

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Hi Lauren

Who was it posted to? Was it to a PO Box? or maybe Poste Restante?

Every parcel I have sent has arrived between 10 and 14 days. I always send Poste Restante, and the onus is on the recipient to call Banjul Post Office and ask if the parcel has arrived.

Rgds

Haydn

Mentioned in this post
Banjul
Banjul
Banjul Division, Gambia
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Hi Haydn.

I sent it Airmail (Royal Mail) to a residential house on Box Bar Road in Banjul. I think it has gone astray, i hope not but just called the family and still; nothing!

It was not a comound but my framilies address to pass on to the sponsored child. I am a little upset as there were nice letters and bits in the box!

Thanks Lauren

Mentioned in this post
Banjul
Banjul
Banjul Division, Gambia
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Is there any delivery service in Gambia? I thought it had to be collected either way?

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Is that correct? If so i will call them and let them know to go and check - do they get informed of a parcel? i shall have to email the GPO Banjul and ask.

I just hope they get it, i promised i would send it.

Mentioned in this post
Banjul
Banjul
Banjul Division, Gambia
Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Definitely worth them calling Banjul PO - the numbers are 4226114 or 4227398.

Be patient and keep trying - I've never lost anything yet!

Haydn

Mentioned in this post
Banjul
Banjul
Banjul Division, Gambia
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Granny,

Right there, No Postmen in Gambia..

Everything has to be Collected from P.O. or Red Coat or DHL etc....

Same applies to Containers and Vehicles..

Rich.....

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

As far as I know, people (not everyone) have a Box No. at their local Post Office, ie Bakau. They visit the Post Office periodically and literally open the Box with their allocated key (at Bakau there is an external wall with rows of Boxes like wall safes for letters and packets: Parcels are claimed from inside the Post Office).

It costs D500 - about £11 - per year. Thats a lot of money to many Gambian families and the facility may have lapsed. Unfortunately it could easily happen that the many members of a family wouldn't know the current status of the Box No. that they call "theirs", when telling their friends it's number.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Thank you everyone, i will call the family again tonight and ask them to contact the GPO, i have emailed the GPO persoanlly too and will call them later today and try and see where it is, I was told that it takes 7-14 days so it has been a while over that. Fingers crossed.

The fact they dont have a PO BOX is a bit of a pain, but hopefully they can track it at the Post Office.

Thanks

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Been trying to call GPO all morning on the 2 numbers from their site and no answer. Will have to keep trying - also emailed a couple of times and no reply. Looks like i have done all i can do.

Leitrim, Ireland
Level Contributor
363 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Mail Airmail - how long?

Lauren

I sent one in Feb it took 5 weeks, the family went to the PO office twice, eventually there on the 2nd visit.

I was told 10 days for delivery, anyway got there, and they were delighted.

Going next week, so filling the bags for them.

Get answers to your questions about Kololi
Recent Conversations