We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel advice

Ashington, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
travel advice

Is it still safe to travel to Hurghada in view of the unrest reported today in Egypt?

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel advice

There is absolutely nothing going on.

All is still safe in most of Egypt, as always.

The security forces are doing their jobs, as they do in the UK, yet we never ask is it safe to return there?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,933 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel advice

https:/…egypt

Hurghada is still in the green zone. Sign up for email alerts.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel advice

Hurghada has seen little or no unrest. My wife and friends are travelling out in a few weeks and will stay for a month. Your other questions are relevant if it is your first time in Hurghada. Use US dollars to pay for the visa - it is $25 and pay at the bank kiosk on your left as you enter the airport building. There will be no issues with exchange rates when using dollars. For tipping I always use Egyptian pounds and tip between 5LE and 20LE. If I intend staying in one place for a while I tell the waiter I will tip when I get the bill and go to a higher amount. It will be good to hear more Geordies in Hurghada. Where are you staying?

Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel advice

My wife and I walked from our hotel through hurghada and up to the marina this morning(took a taxi back). There's no unrest as far as I can see. The press really like to make things more sensational than they are. They have to get people to buy their papers or watch their TV channel after all.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel advice

Hi,

We're travelling for the fourth time this spring, we were there last December and last April too, never felt unsafe or bothered so far. People that we met were absolutely fabulous. Tourism is way too much suffering from bad press, whereas we experienced nothing ugly going on there....

Enjoy !

Marcel

Ashington, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel advice

It will be our first time in Hurghada and we are staying at Sunrise Holidays Resort, really looking forward to it.

Thank you for your replies.

Alnwick, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel advice

2 Geordie ish going 23rd March to Steigenberger Aqua Magic. Been to Sharm a couple times/Nile cruise & Sal Hasheesh twice,never anything other than FAB!!!

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel advice

Nice to see Geordies arriving at long last. I've been waiting for 7 years for to hear the Geordie accent, here in Hurghada.

Might get to see a few more black & white tops now then.

Hope you all have a brill time, and that we get to bump into a few of you.

9. Re: travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2016, 18:16