We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping

We've been told by Thomas Cook sales person that it's best to top £1 coins. Is this correct?

Also what's the lager like, ie strength/taste/price?

35 replies to this topic
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

I have no idea why a tour company would suggest this. It is very irresponsible of them to say the least.

The currency of the country is Egyptian Pounds, easy to obtain here and better rate than U.K.

English coins can not be changed into local currency here so the person you are tipping loses out unless they harass other tourists to change them.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

No it isn't and they are as much use as Chocolate buttons out here in Egypt. Really gets me frustrated and don't listen to TC in anything!

Imagine working in a restaurant in the UK and being ripped in Egyptian Money then go to an exchange to find out they don't exchange it?

Similar principle in Egypt I never understand why tourists think £ coins have any use in Egypt? Locals can not exchange them in banks or anywhere. Of course they will accept them then pester other tourists when they have 10 £ coins asking for a £10 note.

Believe me sometimes your on holiday to relax and living here now I can tell you hotel staff would sooner have local currency they can use straight away to buy bread etc.

Rumour always says there are no small LE Currency around but that is myth. Any hotel will break down bigger notes including banks.

Another good method if you have big notes ask your pool staff or maid or waiters who usually have small notes by the pocket full.

If tipping in Sterling only use notes. As an Emergency then I suggest ordering some U.S $1 bills that staff can exchange quite easily.

Always tip in local currency though it is more appreciated than £ coins or Euros. I don't know why tourist think they are doing locals a favour they aren't. It still happens every day though.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Sorry Catherine you beat me to it. I think we feel the same.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Thanks Catherine

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Thanks Jared, back to the bank to change the coins!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

How much would you normally tip a waiter Jared 👍

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Totally depends Wayne question gets asked loads.

When I used to stay in a hotel I worked like this.

Room Maid 100LE at start of week but make sure it is the same 1 as some alternate days off. The reason I do it at the Start, tend to get a few little extras and asking for something extra if a fridge in the room few cans extra of juice, more towels.

If by pool and drinks waiter or down on the beach maybe 20LE every 2nd or 3rd drink.

Pool guy 20LE a day then you find

Your beds ready and waiting every day with an umbrella same on the beach.

Restaurant then maybe 50LE and you will find a table waiting for you most nights just attract the waiters eye.

Same at night bar 20LE here and there. Never think it is not enough if you think how many people in the hotel and all give 20LE it soon adds up.

Here in Port Ghalib in a high end hotel up the road I know the Pool Boy coins in about £60 a day and works 6 days. Admittedly long hours but £360 in tips is a lot of dough by Egyptian standards.

Never think you are not tipping enough.

Only tip if you think good service etc and do not feel as though you have to tip constantly.

Edited: 09 October 2017, 07:57
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Thanks Jared interesting read. And some good pointers I will keep it in mind I have read some people paying with English money and dollars bur im glad someone posted this thread and now I know thanks jared

Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Someone once told me that you could tip in dollars as well as local currency. Is this not the case now or us it just got the visa?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,017 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

Agree with everyone above.

Being a mean Scotsman, another major factor is that you would be tipping about a minimum of 23LE,

In many cases, this could be far too much!

Reply to: Tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted