We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone

england
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone

So I have a pay as u go phone.what I normally do when i go away i buy a top up voucher,as soon as I arrive at airport it comes up on phone, if I want to buy data.I always buy the data package.can I do this in egypt also.I hope this makes sense.

17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone

Yes you can purchase a sim at airport, as long as your phone is unlocked...I use Vodafone.

Roughly 250le for 20gig data.

There's also a shop in senzo mall, take your passport as well.

Edited: 23 July 2017, 19:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone

I think the OP means a top up to an existing pay-as-you-go SIM, not using an Egyptian SIM. The practicality of using the OP's current SIM depends on the roaming and data roaming charges incurred under the existing deal with the UK provider. In many cases, these can be quite high on a pay-as-you-go phone.

With cheap rates commonplace, using an Egyptian SIM is the economical solution but, as said, the phone must normally be unlocked first.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone

Bb you had to get involved 😋

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone

Mea culpa. Sorry. 😎

england
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone

Thanks for info guys

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
804 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone

Hi Katrina. Most of the UK data packages available in Egypt are extremely expensive, £5 a day, and very few uk providers include Egypt anyway. If your phone is unlocked you can buy a sim at the airport. They will set up your phone for you. If you have a smart phone you can use your whatsapp and viber for calls and messages to the uk without having to change yr number.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone

A few years ago, I used a pay-as-you-go phone (UK provider) in Egypt. If I didn't use it for anything but emergency calls home or from home, it didn't cost much if anything but, for regular use, the roaming charges soon became prohibitive. More recently, I've used an Egyptian phone on a pay-as-you-go package which cost very little for normal day to day use.

If your phone isn't unlocked, contact the provider/company to see if they will unlock it for you (I think they're supposed to these days) before you try to have it hacked in a shop or market stall. The provider/company may charge a small fee but so will the hacker and the hacking can prove to be a bit dodgy, especially if you have a quality smartphone.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone

I recommend anybody going to Egypt to purchase a cheap unlocked phone (£10) from eBay and purchase a sim on landing in hurgarda.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phone

It was very easy for us to acquire an Egyptian SIM at the Vodanphone booth for our unlocked iPhone. The clerk at the booth swapped SIMs and did the final set up for us because the instructions are in Arabic. This worked much better than what transpired with my work-issued phone that was on an AT&T plan that was affordable in Europe and prohibitively expensive in Egypt. Even WorldSIM's rates for Egypt were significantly more expensive than the local service provider's.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phone

Good information Michael ✔👌✔

Edited: 24 July 2017, 04:57
Reply to: Mobile phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted