We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sanya worth a long visit?

2 posts
Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

Hello!

My family suggested Sanya as a destination for our 2-week holiday.

We will be going straight there from London.

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm still not convinced that it is worth travelling all the way there (flight is very long and expensive). I have to admit hotels are fairly cheap (compared to Europe) and they look like great value for money. But what else?

I'm not sure the nature itself and the island are really worth a visit from so far away. Am I wrong?

From what I can see everyone who's going to Sanya is already based/lives in China.

I would love to hear from people who've been there if they think Sanya is a worthy stand-alone destination for a long holiday?

14 replies to this topic
Southern...
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

I've been there, but over 10 years ago, but can't see spending 2 weeks there, though I can't really see spending 2 weeks in very many single locations. I'd recommend getting visas and visiting 2 or 3 of mainland China's historical and/or scenic locations. Maybe Beijing and Guilin/Yangshuo.

If it's a beach vacation you're looking for, I'd recommend Phuket Island in Thailand, with day visits to some of the islands in the Andaman Sea. I thoroughly enjoyed my stays at Kata Beach and up farther north at Kamala Bay.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
37,364 posts
49 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

Your family trying to get rid of you?

Personally, I can't see spending a day at Sanya. If you want a beach vacation, there are plenty of locations in Europe. And if you want a long flight, Thailand is much preferred.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

With 2 weeks time for your vacation, better use of your money - go to the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia. Those would be better than Sanya.

If you feel like adventurous, look at those tiny island states like French Polynesia, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands, etc..

Yes, China, fairly cheap. But you may get what you paid for.

Or ask the Australians where they prefer to go in Southeast Asia for their beach vacation. They can tell you.

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,646 posts
965 reviews
605 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

When I gave you a negative comment in the other thread, I did not know that you were going for two weeks.. Knowing this, it makes no sense to go to Sanya. The only time one goes there is when you are already in China and want to stay close as you only have a couple of days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

I've been to Sanya about 8 years a go. I was a bit unlucky because right in that period they were full scale renovating the entire beach and the roads. But I still loved my walking on the beach and on the foot pats along the beach and shopping areas. Prices vary depending on what you're looking for. I was there in full winter but the weather was always cool and quite warm. When you ask suggestion you should state what are you looking for. You go with the family, what are the family members, how many people, what is the budget? If you like relax, Sanya is the place to go, there are barbecue fish stalls and coconuts sellers on the streets, restaurants everywhere and the big hotels.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
13 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

Thailand is a lot better and can be less expensive than Sanya.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

Thailand is a whole country while here we talk about a specific location.

Please define "better"?

Do you mean sex tourism and what city specifically is less expensive?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

The OP has not come back after 1.5 month to clarify what he/she wants or follow up.

To debate among other posters is a waste of time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

ANYONE can still come here and find information about a trip to Sanya, it can be now or in the next 10 years.

And I see you're one of those advising against going to Sanya because "China, fairly cheap. But you may get what you paid for".

That sounds like a cheap generalisation if not a racist statement.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
13 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Save

Thailand can be less expensive, has better food, snorkeling and scuba diving sites, etc.

Koh Samui is expensive.

But there are better value resorts or hotels in Phuket, Pattaya, Khao Lak, Koh Lanta, Koh Tao, etc.

Reply to: Is Sanya worth a long visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanya
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.