We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover in Hainan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
198 reviews
76 helpful votes
Long layover in Hainan
Save

Hi TAs,

I'm looking at a flight with a 14hr layover in Hainan. If I book this would I be able to leave the airport to explore Hainan before my departure time?

12 replies to this topic
Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,646 posts
965 reviews
605 helpful votes
1. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Depends on the mood of the immigration officer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
198 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Hmmm, is there an official ruling?

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

The answer is no if it is an international flight you are on. You need a visa for China most likely (most people do). To get outside the airport and back to your flight requires you to go through customs and immigration both ways

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
198 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Thanks for your reply Wayne. We will have a China visa (as going to Beijing) , but luckily we booked a flight with a shorter layover time so happy to explore the terminal!

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,646 posts
965 reviews
605 helpful votes
5. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

If you have a visa then it changes everything. An important detail that you skipped in your post.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
198 reviews
76 helpful votes
6. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Apologies for the oversight. With that in mind, we have a 4 and 7 hour layover. Would the 7 hour layover allow us enough time to traipse around town before heading back to the terminal?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Hi Roamas, would love to know your experience please at Hainan Airport, we also have a long layover of 8hours from 5am.

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
198 reviews
76 helpful votes
8. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

I'll let you know how we go. We'll be in Hainan for our 4 hour layover this weekend, but fortunately our flight got pushed back for the return leg and now we get to spend a full day there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Thank you, how did you go? Hope your stay was good. We are very interested. We have 5 children so want to prepare best we can :)

Cepin, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
10. Re: Long layover in Hainan
Save

Chinese immigration officers almost always grant temporary entry permits in cases where a layover is long 8 hours or longer, to those with overnight layover and especially to those traveling with small(er) children. Having in mind your situation, your chances to be allowed to exit the airport are practically 100%... When we take into account the fact that Hainan permits 30 days visa free access to those arriving for tourism purposes, I would say that you can be quite certain as far as the exit from the airport is concerned.

Reply to: Long layover in Hainan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hainan
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.