We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station

4 posts
Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Arriving into Haikou airport from Hong Kong, and was looking for personal experience/info as to how long I should estimate the time required between landing and getting to the Meilan train station.

Flight scheduled arrival is 15:30, including immigration and luggage, is it do-able to catch a 17:08 train?

10 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

I don't have personal experience with it. This is too new for me. China had been "frozen" for a few years due to Covid-19. I don't know how many people can answer with personal experience.

I studied the maps and online info a little bit. The Meilan Railway Station is right there at the airport. I think it is do-able, if the inbound flight is not delayed, the immigration officers are not overworked, your luggage does not take overly long to show up at the carousel. (But note there are a few "if"'s.) It is definitely tight though. No time to spare. If you are not comfortable with it, perhaps switch to a later train.

This 4-month old youtube video shows you how to get to the entrance (escalators down) to the High-speed Railway Station. Just follow the signage. Seems straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7qQUdZYvI&ab_channel=%E4%BF%8A%E5%84%92%E5%86%AF

Southern...
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

I'm in agreement with HappyFeet1234j and the assessment that it's "definitely tight". Just too many variables that can keep you from making it in time. If the plane is on-time, arrival gate is close to Immigration, no line at Immigration, your bags are waiting when you get to baggage claim, no line at the station security entrance, short walk to your train's gate, you don't make a restroom stop at any point, or any other stops, and you're a fast walker, then you might make the train.

There are some trains leaving after the 17:08 that are also going to Sanya - I'd book the one departing at 18:50

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

To add to John's excellent points:

China's domestic flights are often delayed. Planes are like trucks. They don't sit around. They are used to fly a particular route back and forth (A-B-A-B) or in a daisy chain fashion (A-B-C-D-E) to the max. Because China's domestic flights are typically short: 2 to 3 hours or a little longer, the same plane will be used for multiple flights. When they start off a day, early in the morning, that's usually okay. But as you get to mid/late afternoon, the delays can stack up. Thus these scheduled arrivals of "15:30" have higher chance not materialize. If you are new to domestic flight travels in China, you should have anticipation on that.

4 posts
4. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

To clarify, I'm arriving on an international flight, it seems pretty on time looking at past history. But I get that there's always the possibility of delays.

Discarding the wild card factor of on time arrival, I was looking for feedback on how long it typically takes to clear immigration at HAK airport.

It seems to me like the walk to the train station isn't too long, so assuming on time arrival, immigration and baggage would be the main factors.

I disregard late arrival simply due to it being entirely unpredictable and can vary wildly to the point that if it occurs, I'll just have to find an alternative transportation arrangement at the time.

Edited: 18 June 2023, 10:27
Singapore, Singapore
1 post
5. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Hello, in the end, did immigration clearance for the international flight turn out to be fairly efficient at Haikou Meilan airport? Did you manage to arrive at 1530h and catch the 1700h train? Would be grateful for a few nuggets of information.

JQ
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Ditto, would like to know as well

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

My advice is still the same. I would not bet on a 1.5 hour transfer.

3 posts
8. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Hi, I expect to reach 1130am at Haikou, if I book 1424Hrs tickets, it is 2 hours, safe?

3 posts
9. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

Sorry, 3 hours.

3 posts
10. Re: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Save

if I have to wait for 3.30pm train, 4 hours, where can I visit?

Reply to: Haikou Airport Arrival Timing to Train Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hainan
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.