We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on haikou and sanya

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
74 reviews
37 helpful votes
Thoughts on haikou and sanya

Hi, what area to stay in haikou? Sanya, i’m looking at east sanya bay, Pullman, Any thoughts? Thanks.

Any reco on local food restaurant @ Haikou?

4 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
212 posts
1. Re: Thoughts on haikou and sanya

Tbh the first thing that came to my mind is that going to the beaches in Thailand or Vietnam is probably a better bang for your buck. Hainan is kinda (in)famously pricey for beaches and seafood in China, not to mention all the tourist traps.

Southern...
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
22 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Thoughts on haikou and sanya

To add to the first post, I've travel through a lot of mainland China (though still much more for me to visit), including a visit to Hainan Island several years ago (staying in Yalong Bay near Sanya at the Mangrove Tree Resort); and compared to other places to visit in China, visiting Hainan while okay if you've already seen much of the other attractions in China, there are better places to visit. China is not known for it's beaches if that is your primary reason for visiting Hainan. For beach stays, my preference is Phuket in Thailand.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
74 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Thoughts on haikou and sanya

Agree I think Sanya is too overrated and pricey perhaps Lingshui or Wanning? It's my first visit to in law ancestor's hometown though

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
212 posts
4. Re: Thoughts on haikou and sanya

I mean, if you're just visiting for the beaches, then it's probably not worth it. If you're visiting for other purposes (like it's your in-law's hometown) it's......okay, I guess.

Lingshui is still considered to be properly "tropical", while Wanning is sub-tropical. The 分界洲 "Boundary Island" is considered to be the boundary between the two. There are no shortage of beachside resorts and hotels in any of those places though.

Reply to: Thoughts on haikou and sanya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hainan
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.