We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa free rules

Namba, Japan
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
20 helpful votes
Visa free rules
Save

Hi there, i'm planning to go Hainan in September for leisure. I see many websites talking about the visa free rules being implemented again since March 2023 but the official China sites say we need to register with an authorized travel agency -- but perhaps they just didn't update their sites. I came across some forum where a user mentioned that the registration is not required anymore.

Has anyone travelled to Hainan recently and can confirm that we need not do any registration beforehand? I'm holding a Malaysian passport.

Thanks so much!

9 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
212 posts
1. Re: Visa free rules
Save

http://en.hainan.gov.cn/englishgov/Policies/202201/c33e5a7ee5a0426cb933b900b044ab86.shtml

Read the link above. It's from Sep 2021 so I guess it's the latest.

It does say you need to register with a travel agency, who will submit your travel info to the government before you arrive.

Note: You must arrive on a direct flight from abroad (or Hong Kong) into Hainan. If you need to travel outside of Hainan (such as changing planes elsewhere in China and fly to Hainan on a domestic connecting flight), then you will need a visa.

3 posts
2. Re: Visa free rules
Save

Someone holding Malaysian and Singaporean passports had entered the island successfully without negotiation with any travel agency. So now it's not necessary actually, completely open to foreigners. But Why Hainan? Populated and costy.

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,646 posts
965 reviews
605 helpful votes
3. Re: Visa free rules
Save

Citizens of Singapore do not need a visa to enter China, so this is not a reference.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
13,342 posts
4. Re: Visa free rules
Save

Although not relevant in this particular case, currently Singaporeans do need a visa to enter China as the 15-day visa-free facility has not been reinstated following the easing of pandemic restrictions;

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/people/article/3219798/unthinkable-singaporeans-queue-16-hours-scorching-heat-china-travel-visa

Edited: 22 May 2023, 17:12
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Visa free rules
Save

I hold a UK passport, I want to visit Hainan Island later in the year, however, the Visa website is as clear as mud, I emailed the Chinese visa dept with various questios and was refered back to the website, I don't want to book and pay for hotels only to find my paperwork is not in order when I get to HKG

Namba, Japan
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Visa free rules
Save

There are cheap direct flights from Singapore to Haikuo and the water theme parks look like fun for the kids. So seems like a good place for a short holiday.

2 posts
7. Re: Visa free rules
Save

Hello! I'm planning to visit Hainan soon and want to take advantage of visa-free travel, but there are no direct flight from London.

I found connecting flight via Beijing (which i imagine i wont need to leave the airport to do the connection) however I'm confused that everyone is saying it has to be direct but there are literally no direct flights from UK...

Has anyone got any info on this or flew to Hainan that way?

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
53,646 posts
965 reviews
605 helpful votes
8. Re: Visa free rules
Save

There is no direct flight from London because there is no demand to support it. I am a bit surprised that someone would fly all the way from London to visit Hainan when there are so many good places closer.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Visa free rules
Save

Of course it will be with one stop over, just have to make sure it's NOT city on mainland China.

H.K is OK. Abu Dahbi is OK.

Reply to: Visa free rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hainan
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.