We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Boston
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Hi -- I've read that if you buy tickets to Angor Wat after 5:00 p.m., you can still see the sunset that evening, without it counting as a day. We plan to buy a 3 day pass. However, I see that you don't purchase the tickets at Angor Wat itself, but at another location.

How exactly does it work? Between what times can you buy the tickets and then still use it for the sunset? What time does the ticket office clsoe? Can the "extra" evening only be at the Angor Wat temple itself, or can it be used at any of the temples?

Thanks!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

you buy your ticket the entrance booth, starts the next day

the park closes at 6

up to you where you go

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Hi,

Yes there is a new location for the ticket office.

As far as I know 5pm is still the earliest time for buying tickets you can use 'for free' that evening.

The new ticket office is a bit further from the town but not a lot further to the temples so shouldn't pose a problem for seeing a temple as the sun sets.

You can visit any temple if you can get there before the guards start clearing visitors from the sites at 6-6:30pm. The ticket office closes at 6pm.

Cheers

Boston
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Let me see if I have this straight.

If we ask our tuk tuk driver to take us to the ticket booth right at 5, we can buy the 3 day pass, then ask him to take us to a different temple for sunset. Does the ticket get "clipped" in some way?

Is it possible to buy the tickets earlier in the day, but then not go to the temple for sunset until after 5? Or is it important that the pass itself be purchased after 5:00.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Hi,

Yes, if you enter the park after 5 then the tickets are not clipped.

And yes, you could buy the ticket earlier and head back to town without getting it validated (at least at the old ticket booth you could) but your driver would not be very pleased to have to make two trips I suspect. In fact I can see no advantage in doing that.

Cheers

Boston
Level Contributor
210 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Thanks. Do you know what time the office opens in the morning?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Hi,

Officially it opens at 5am.

Cheers

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
91 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

When I went to the ticket office at around 3:30pm, I could not purchase my one day ticket (for the next day). Had I bought a ticket at 3:30pm, they said it would count for that day...and i asked a few girls at the ticket booths. So we waited until 4:50 and they sold us the one day ticket, we took the tuktuk to angkor wat, enjoyed the sunset and spent the next day at the temples.

At 5, the ticket office will get relatively busy as all the tuktuks and coach buses arrive with guests to purchase their one day ticket.

when we did angkor wat at sunset, they did check out ticket but they do not punch a hole or anything. at other temples they check and some they dont.

One thing i would mention is, i had a whole itinerary of temples i wanted to go to. i did a lot of research and had a specific order of temples to visit based on crowds, time of day, etc. However, my tuktuk driver had a completely different set of plans. In the end, i didnt mind following his advice (whether it was better or not), it was just slightly unnerving that the requests i made to go to certain temples were ignored. Also, do not expect your tuktuk driver to be any sort of guide. He will drop you off at one area of the temple, and he will be waiting for you at a totally different spot...it can again be unnerving as you have to search for your tuktuk in a sea of tuktuks, but you'll eventually find him.

Alsoooo, if you plan to do the sunrise, i would suggest as soon as the sun starts rising and you catch the reflection of the temple in the ponds, you quickly separate yourself from the crowds near the ponds and head into angkor wat. you will be inside with a few other people before everyone starts heading inside.

check out my gopro vid of my trip to thailand and cambodia trip :) have fun and be safe!

https://youtu.be/qpcbaiTrm3w

Edited: 27 July 2016, 14:55
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Hi

The ticket booth will start selling the next day ticket from 05:00 to 06:00 pm, as Angkor Wat temple is not so far from the where you buy ticket so I would recommend you to spend your short time for sunset.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

So I can buy my ticket at 5 pm for next day and enjoy the sunset at the same time, and they will not mark it right? Punch a hole?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about buying Angor Wat tickets after 5

Correct Sereneda

Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap