We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

Dear All,

I shall be carrying both USD and THB into Luang Prabang. As I've read, the Visa can only be paid in USD, so I shall keep small change handy.

Does any one know of some reputed money exchangers in town? Is Luang prabang like Myanamar where you can pay for everything in USD? Or shall I just pay in LAO KIP?

Did a search on the forum but the last information about this was about 5 years ago an hence things may have changed.

Any advice appreciated in advance! Thanks a bunch!

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

Not advisable to go around making purchases with USD (except for visa). Change to Lao Kip the national currency. You will see exchange counters in town along the main road, displaying their current rates. You can also check online (e.g. http://www.bcel.com.la/bcel/exchange-rate.html?lang=en)

Also there are ATMs which dispense Kip.

Spend it before leaving the country, as it is a soft currency invalid outside Laos.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

Noted! Thanks :)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

There have been some reports on TA the last 2-3 years of dodgy exchange kiosks in LP that try to take advantage of visitors lack of familiarity with the kip notes and all their zeroes. Make sure you count your cash carefully before you walk away.

Nowhere near as bad as places like Bali but still worth checking

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

Back in 2014 I encountered two kisos that try to scam tourists (and I msut admit...I fell for one - I blame tiredness after a few beer the night before).

The first one was HUNGCHARLEUN Exchange and was on the left hand side before the first Wat when coming from the Tourist Information. She tried to give me small notes, and soon I counted the money she already started to get more notes out. Always count in front of them

The second one was AO PARIS Exchange booth next to the Indigo cafe. They charged me a fee when exchanging GBP into US$...I should have gotten Kip first and then US$. It was a scam nontheless.

The one at the post office (which is located opposite the tourist information) was very good...and never had any issues with them

Just something to consider

5. Re: most reputed money exchanger in Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang