We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money in Luang Prabang

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
214 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Money in Luang Prabang

I have heard it is not necessary to carry "kip". Is it true that the US Dollar is accepted throughout Laos, and that most items to buy are priced in kip, and USD? Is the US Dollar accepted in the night markets also?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Here is question for you. Is it ok for me to pay with pounds sterling in the US? If your answer is "No", then why would you want to pay in USD in Lao? The govt specifically wants you to pay in Kip and it is disrespectful not to do so. The fact that some items eg bills in western restaurants have the total in Kip and USD is totally irrelevant. The US is not the centre of the universe.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
493 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

We carried kip, yet prices in restaurants and prices at night market were given in US dollars. Our guide (Laotian) even advised us that we wouldn't need that much kip since many restaurants gave prices in USD. If prices are given in USD, why wouldn't we pay with that currency?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

I assume you have a decent level of comprehension? Read my post above. The Lao Govt asks you not to, that is reason enough. William M, you have also not answered my question - can I pay in pounds stirling in Illinois?

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
493 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Comprehension is not the problem. Rudeness may be!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Many of the restaurants accept US dollars as well as many hotels accepting US dollars. They also accept Thai Baht. That's just the way it is!

Edited: 16 April 2015, 21:18
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,503 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Does that make it right to pay in a foreign currency?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Why does the Government require visitors to pay for visas and other related charges in US dollars? No exceptions, eh?

Edited: 18 April 2015, 11:25
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

Yes to all. Thai Baht a little more welcome.

United States
Level Contributor
90 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

I agree with Rufuscat, We are seasoned world travelers and always use local currencies. The dollar is accepted world wide but I always use the local currency as a gesture of respect. We Americans tend to swagger around the world throwing our dollars around like it's some God given right. Using the local currency helps prevent tourist price inflation and shows the locals that we accept and embrace their money. I prefer to hide my nationality when traveling, not flaunt it with wades of dollars.

San Kamphaeng...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Money in Luang Prabang

My my what a poor reply. If you've been to Cambodia you'll find they treat their currency as foreign. The USD is center of the universe in many places. Pound sterling is as arcane as the UK itself.

But more to the point|: maybe its not too far fetched to ponder whether dollars are preferred in Laos as well.

Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang