We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

Allentown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

I will be traveling to Luang Prabang in July with my family of 4. We have 2 children (12 and 9 yrs of age) We will be there for 4 days 3 nights and want to find a nice hotel in town. We will need a large suite or two connecting rooms. The Mekong Riverview has the number 1 rating on TA and the only draw back for us may be the lack of a pool for an afternoon swim to cool down. The Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel is in town and has a pool but I am not sure if it is as nice. Bottom line is we are looking for a nice hotel that can accommodate a family of 4, has a good location in town and possibly a pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Perth
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

Not sure if any help or not I have just booked my dream resort in Luang Prabang it looks good and has suites rooms and a pool. i emailed them direct and found them very helpful, the hotel is about 10mins walk from town but they do have pushbikes to ride if you want.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

we are at My Dream Resort at present and whilst it is over the river it is only a 10 minute walk across the Bamboo bridge. It is a 5,000 kip fee to use the bridge.

The resort has a lot of really good bikes with locks and everyday for the last week we have used them. You can't go over the bamboo bridge with them but if you turn right out of the resort you head over the bike/motor bike bridge which brings you in the other end of town and it is only a few minutes to the main part.

Resort is really nice, great staff, lovely rooms and a pool which has been a welcome relief on the hot days when we get back from our tripping around. Highly recommend. Has only been open for a few months and the rooms are nice with everything you most likely need.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

Thanks so much for both of your replies and My Dream Resort looks and sounds beautiful. I am just still stuck on feeling like we would benifit from staying right in Luang Prabang. I want to make it as convient as possible to tour/wander the city and go back to the room to relax and back to wandering with ease. Mekong Riverview replied to my email over night and said there suite with an extra bed would accomodate our family, again the only thing holding me back is the lack of the pool. I sent an email to Maison Souvannaphoum 2 days ago and am still waiting for a reply, maybe I will have one in the morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

we have travelled extensively and I must admit with a child I always where possible look for a pool.

Cools the child and the parents nerves at the end of a busy sightseeing day. As we only have one child it is always a great way for them to meet other kids as well and the pool is a great way to do this. We are currently in Vientianne with no pool but we walked down the road and for a few dollars had a nice swim at the Setha.

July will be extremely hot in Luang Prabang.

Vientiane, Laos
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

A pool is a good idea, though July is the rainy season. It will be nowhere near as hot as it is now. It will be humid though.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

#5 What a thoroughly insightful and perceptive contribution, thank you.

7. Re: Mekong Riverview Hotel vs Maison Souvannaphoum for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:40
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang