We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monastery visit

Sydney
Level Contributor
90 posts
65 reviews
Monastery visit

We(H&W) will visit LP for 3 days in May 2012; and would like, if possible, to respectfully see how & where monks live. We would not want to intrude, so ask if visiting a monastery might be possible? I am sure we will see many in the temples and wonder if a more in depth knowledge of their lives might be possible.

Regards, John-in-Oz

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Monastery visit

Sure, just ask some of the monks you will meet. They will want to practice English anyway. Be aware however that monks must not be in close contact with females.

Basel, Switzerland
8 posts
2. Re: Monastery visit

I've learned that many novices / monks are rather shy and might not approach you when entering the temple. I suggest, you go up to them, ask them if they speak English and most times they will be very happy to talk to you and, as Rufuscat said, be very happy to answer your questions. Last time I was in LP, I entered a Wat, a young novice approached me asking if I could help him with some English questions. I was invited to his room which made me feel a bit uncomfortable, so I stayed outside and waited, thinking maybe I had misunderstood. But no, he came back out inviting me in, so I entered, we sat on the floor and he showed me a notebook with words he wanted to practice. It took only a few minutes until other novices entered about which I was very pleased. I stayed with them, about 6, for 2 hours helping with pronunciation, reading and other exercises. I was able to ask many questions on their daily routine, their families and and. I went there every day for a few days, they would be waiting for me to arrive, it was one of my most memorable experiences I've had there. So loved it. They might also invite you to observe their chanting in the evening, just ask if it would be ok. Enjoy LP, a wonderful place.

3. Re: Monastery visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 23:20
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang