We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Hi everyone,

I've read through reviews and searched the forums and have narrowed down the list of possible hotels for our 4 night stay in October:

Mekong River View

Villa Riverview Nam Khan

Ouis Guesthouse

Bel Air (but concerned about location of this one...)

Ideally, we'd love a river view, about $100 p/n, smaller type hotel or guesthouse, quiet, close to places to eat etc Don't care about 5 star etc , as long as it's clean and we can have a shower - we don't plan on spending much time in the room...

I'd love your comments and recommendation on the options (or other suggestions).

Many thanks in advance,

- K

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,804 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

We went through the same exercise recently and have now booked the Villa Chitdara (1)

In case you're in the same situation for Vientiane - we finally (!) selected Auberge Inpeng Sala. (good reviews for both)

safe travels

helen

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
206 reviews
2. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Hi,

Well the first three are right at the tip of the peninsula and it's a fairly quiet part of town and all three can give you river view rooms. The Mekong River view has very little close to it apart from Wat Xiang Thong, but a shortish 5 min walk brings you to the start of the riverside restaurants on the Mekong side, I think it's probably in the quietest location of the three and the view across the Mekong is great. As a personal preference I prefer the Nam Khan side and both the Villa Riverview and Oui's are good choices, if I had to choose it would be the Villa Riverview as it's a bit newer. This side has some nice riverside eateries too these days but is still quiet, the views of the Nam Khan are charming it's fun to watch river life in late afternoon. Again a few minutes walk and you're in the main street with the main street restaurants a 5 - 10 minute walk. The Bel Air gets great reviews, I know where it is but I haven't stayed so I can't really comment on the rooms. I'm not sure I'd want to stay "out of town" as it were, as it's not that walkable so you'd have to get tut tuts back there especially later in the evening.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
3. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Thanks for you comments - much appreciated.

Bel Air does sound great but from the maps it does seem a bit far out. We're not fussed about a 15-20 min walk, but it looks a bit too far. But the place looks great - love the bunglaows and river...

We will have to do the same hotel research for Vientiane too, so I appreciate your info. We are still trying to decide whether to do 3 nights in LP and 4 in VT, or 4 LP and 3 VT... Would you spend the extra night in LP?

Any further comments would be great.

Thanks again :)

- K

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,804 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

we're doing 4 in PL, 3 in Phonsavan (a timing thing with the flight back to Vientiane) and then 3 in Vientiane.

cheers

helen

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
206 reviews
5. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Hi again,

"- we don't plan on spending much time in the room..."

That's why I think is not great to be across the bridge at the Bel Air. It's not the length of the walk into town that's the problem, it's the old iron bridge you have to cross, the pedestrian bits on each side of the road are 'interesting' in the daylight, where you can see the gaps and the loose planks, at night... well, rather you than me. I know they have push bikes for rent so maybe it's ok, but I'd want to be in town unless the place I was booking outside had a pool or something like that

cheers

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

I recently stayed at the Riverside Guesthouse and highly recommend it. Its in the old part of town and on the Nam Khan River. If you take the most expensive room it has a wide balcony with a lovely river view. I much preferred to be in this quieter part of town yet its still very easy walking distance to the town.

As a bonus La Banneton Cafe (GORGEOUS pastries is just 2 minutes up the road.)

Edited: 27 March 2011, 01:04
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,197 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

I stayed at the wonderful Manichan Guesthouse last year. It was perfect, great/central location, small and very friendly. The room was basic but super clean with a great private bathroom. The gourmet breakfasts were the best I've ever had in SE Asia. I'll be back at this place when I return to LP:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g295415-d141887…

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

The Riverside guesthouse is one that I recommend to my friends. Many who have stayed here really like it.

http://guesthouse-riverside.com/rooms.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
9. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Thanks everyone,

I have booked Riverside Guesthouse. I contacted them via email and they were very prompt with their response.

Am I correct in saying it is also known as the Nam Khan Riverside Guesthouse? The photos from the web sites are identical...

http://www.villa-riverside-nam-khan.com/

- K

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Narrowed down hotel choice - what's your opinion?

Yes, they are the same.

Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang