We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alms giving ceremony

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Alms giving ceremony

For the almsgiving ceremony, can I buy stuff from my country to the monks?

7 replies to this topic
Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Alms giving ceremony

Alms is about eating not so much gifts.

Maybe better to go to the temples later in the day to have a chat and distribute??? Whatever you had in mind.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
338 reviews
2. Re: Alms giving ceremony

Please watch from a distance. I have seen people with cameras in the monk's faces, it was quite disturbing. While you can ask your hotel about this, I wish people would not disturb the monks in the early am.

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Alms giving ceremony

In my country, we buy our stuffs for monks

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Alms giving ceremony

As stated above, the morning ritual is about food distribution, not gift giving. Can you bring stuff from your country? Yes, as long as it's allowed through customs. But should you be handing out material gifts to monks in Laos?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Alms giving ceremony

"In my country, we buy our stuffs for monks"

In my country we don't except when you have a Barsi. You do not buy gifts for Tak Bat

California
Level Contributor
943 posts
355 reviews
6. Re: Alms giving ceremony

Better to buy there. The monks and especially novices, one of whom I sponsor and three of whom I keep up with now (I tutored English with them), have very local tastes and expectations. Please be respectful. Also, please buy them fresh rice and not the rotten rice sold on the street. I still talk to the novices on social media, and they complain so much about this, and one was recently sick because of eating old rice.

They do not mind being interacted with as long as they aren't treated like the Beatles and surrounded! Often, they are actually just very tired at that time of day. Also, they are not supposed to be touched by women.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: Alms giving ceremony

Just watch from a distance. Unless it's culturally or spiritually significant to you.

Reply to: Alms giving ceremony
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted