We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
35 reviews
35 helpful votes
Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

My friend in Los Angeles (who lives and works here legally on a visa) has an Indian passport. He'd like to come with us on a group trip to El Salvador this winter but we read about the $1000 fee to discourage illegal immigration from India. Does anyone know if he would be required to pay the fee considering we'd be flying directly to and from LAX and he holds a US visa?

He's contacting the consulate but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this. Thanks.

18 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Any updates on this. I was there in the beginning of October and no fee. It’s beautiful and love to go back.

1 post
2. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Wondering if anyone has heard back on this or know if an Indian citizens with Canadian or US visa / Permanent Residence requiring to pay the $1000 fees?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
35 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Update: my friend went to the Salvadoran consulate in Los Angeles and was told he just needs a visa and to apply for it within 2 weeks of the trip. So he went ahead and booked his flight.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
13,235 posts
8 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

I would try contacting one of the El Salvadorean consulates/embassies for clarification.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/consularnotification/ConsularNotificationandAccess/ElSalvador.html

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Hi there!

I just booked my tickets to El Salvador in next couple of weeks not knowing about this new fee even for Indian passport holders living in US on work Visa. I booked Jan 13th flight and will check with consulate on Jan 2nd to see how long will it take for them to issue Visa. Meanwhile just checking on any new updates on Visa timelines (in case you have an info, that would be really helpful). thanks

Edited: 31 December 2023, 20:00
6 posts
6. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Even I'm in the same boat. I'm an Indian citizen and have a US visa. I booked a round trip flight from New York to El Salvador for Jan end.

Both CEPA and Avianca website mentions that the fee is applicable to the transit passengers. However, there is no clarity whether the fee applies to non-transit passenger whose final destination is San Salvador

CEPA website: https://www.cepa.gob.sv/tarifa-de-mejoras-aeroportuarias-del-aeropuerto-internacional-de-el-salvador/

Avianca website: https://ayuda.avianca.com/hc/en-us/articles/19744371443355-Airport-Improvement-Tariff-at-El-Salvador-International-Airport

Does anyone know whether we've to pay the "Airport Improvement Tariff" as a non-transit passenger?

6 posts
7. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Update: Talked to the El Salvador consulate. They confirmed that the fee is not applicable if the final destination is El Salvador.

Also, Indian citizens holding US visa are visa exempt so we don't have to apply for a visa in advance.

Anyway to avoid last minute confusion at the El Salvador immigration, they further advised to get a visa-exempt stamp free of cost from the nearest Consulate/Embassy

Mo
London, United...
2 posts
8. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Hi, I am African and in the same boat. I wanted to confirm if you were get able to fly without paying the fee for the direct flight?

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Update: We got tourist Visa stamped from local El Salvador Consulate. No issues at immigration and no need to pay any fee for Indian passport holders with US Visa.

6 posts
10. Re: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?

Update: Completed my trip last weekend. Didn't have to pay $1000 fee. We were charged $12 as the visa arrival fee at the immigration though. Also, didn't have to get an El Salvador visa beforehand either. A valid US visa is enough to enter El Salvador visa-free for Indian citizens.

Edited: 30 January 2024, 12:01
Reply to: Do Indians living in US or Canada have to pay the $1000 fee?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Salvador
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.