We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

Guisseny, France
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

I have planned to go to El Salvador with my son in March. I want to explore the country and so I am thinking to rent a car. how are the roads? Should I rent a 4x4?

4 replies to this topic
PEN
Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

I just got back from 4 day trip. I found the driving easy. Roads are in good shape for most part. We didnt have a 4x4 and were fine, but if you can get a 4x4 at a decent rate I would consider it. Car rental is right outside terminal. A 2 minute walk.

Queens, New York...
Level Contributor
114 posts
57 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

We also rented a car. It was super convenient; they were waiting for me at the exit. Picked up the car and drove everywhere, no issues. Roads were decent and GPS (Google maps) was pretty accrurate. We had an SUV because of the number of people but you don't really need a 4x4 unless you are going offroading.

3 posts
3. Re: Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

My son and I spent the month of February exploring El Salvador from border to border and border to sea.. In general the main roads are in good shape.. A little narrow at times which adds to the excitement.. Secondary roads are a diffferent story comletely.. We found you can go from Asphalt to Cow Path in the blink of an eye.. Google Maps will only show roads going from A to B, but doesn't warn you of the transitions.. All in all, extremely beautiful views on a regular basis.. Ocean drive is breath taking and the Mountain views will rival any thing short of the Grand Canyon.. One thing to note with the mountain views, some days they may be limited to a few miles because of low hanging smoke caused by cooking fires.. The folks banning wood fired pizza ovens in New York would be traumatized by this dose of third world reallity.. Last and final warning are the speed bumps you will encounter on a regular basis.. We found ourselves close to "Air Borne" on a couple occasions.. There is an App available that will point them out, but not sure which one it is..

3 posts
4. Re: Is it safe to drive in El Salavador

Hi Pen, just read your post... My son and I were there at the same time.. I have been there several times but had never driven.. Quite the experince to say the least.. It was a pleasure to be driving in February with worry about snow.. Are you going back any time soon??

Edited: 10 April 2024, 05:01
Reply to: Is it safe to drive in El Salavador
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.