We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somaliland logistics/independent travel from Djibouti

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
199 posts
87 reviews
145 helpful votes
Somaliland logistics/independent travel from Djibouti

In Djibouti I stayed at a very simple lodge for 3000 just few kilometers from the center. The room was ok with air conditioner (which is needed) but the bathroom not so great. This place is not for everyone. The phone number of the manager is +253 77581352 and you can find him on WhatsApp. On google maps it is Avenue 26 (11.5849948, 43.1492856) blue building. Otherwise Rayan Hotel, which you can also find on google maps, charges $50 for single or $70 for double and the rooms are nice.

I went for the Somaliland visa in Djibouti and it costs 10,700- only local currency. Google maps is wrong- it is right next to the Yemen embassy. Bring a photo and hotel reservation, but they also require an invitation letter. If you are on a tour your agency will provide it. I had a couchsurfing friend, who I called while at the embassy, and they told her exactly what she needed to do for my invitation letter. She is not a tourist agency but has her own business so I said I was just going to visit her and they allowed her to do the invitation letter. She sent her business license. I checked with one agency who wanted $230 for a day trip to Las Geel- they wouldn’t just do the letter, so thank goodness my friend helped out.

I took a 4X4 from Djibouti to Hargeisa. They leave from directly in front of the hotel I stayed at and the manager was nice letting me stay in my room until we left. They charge 8000/$45 which included my backpack for the front seat. The middle seat is the same price but fits 4 people. Behind is a bit cheaper. They arranged for me in the morning and it was supposed to leave at 16:30 but we left around 17:15. We stopped after crossing the border (immigration easy) to eat and were there 2 hours- why? I changed $100 at 8500 rate- which if I did over I would just change $10 as the rate in Somaliland was 9000 to 1 and almost everyone quotes in dollars. I also was given a sim card in Djibouti from a friend so I put on 4GB for $2. I did not eat at all on the journey as I did not want to use the toilet and I think that was a smart decision. We arrived in Hargeisa at 8:30 the next morning. It was a few kilometers from the center and I walked.

I stayed at the City Hotel which is not on google maps but is on maps.me as City Centre for $10. It has private bathroom, towel, soap, average wifi- good deal. They also have a restaurant and WhatsApp +252 634346507 but should always have a room.

I got my permit for Las Geel at “Ministry of Trade, Industry and tourism” as listed on google maps. They are open daily from 7:00-12:00 and closed on Friday. The permit for foreigners is $25 and locals $10. They said a permit to Berbera was $20 and when I said that was crazy- I would take my luck without it they gave it to me for free (very happy I got this). I also got the WhatsApp for the boy in the tourism office in case I had any problems with the police.

I went to Dhagax-Kuure with Nomad Travel +252 672024868 for $10 and you could add an overnight camping for $15- although they were very disorganized. The driver had never been there and got lost. Still it is a beautiful place and amazing deal but I think they only go on Thursday and Friday, maybe Saturday. I saw 3 tortoises on the drive there!

I went to Las Geel with my couchsurfing friend. We were planning to take the public bus which would be about $3 but late the evening before she messaged me that she contracted a private car. She also brought a friend and told me I did not have to pay for the car although I contributed $10 but I am sure she paid a lot more. If I was alone I would take the public bus and then walk from the road the 6 kilometers each way to the site. It is a beautiful road and we saw gazelle and warthogs, but it is hot. Las Geel is very cool!

Afterwards I had them drop me at the main road then walked the 500 meters to Dhubato and waited for transport to Berbera. I did not wait long and it cost 45,000. I dropped in the center and looked for a hotel and stayed at Rayaan Hotel for $5. It was not good- stay somewhere else.

I walked to Batalaale Beach and stayed until sunset. The next morning I walked to “Berbera Bus Terminal” as listed on google maps to get transport to Sheikh. It cost $3 and I dropped about 5 kilometers prior to the town. Google maps and maps.me show viewpoints. I climbed a small hill off the main road and when I came down the police were waiting for me- thank goodness I had the additional permit from the tourist office. He saw it and I was good to continue. I took about 3 hours to walk to Huddisa taking pictures along the way. I did see 3 separate troops of monkeys. I got the transport back to Berbera for $3 and continued to Hargeisa for 55,000. I was never bothered at the checkpoints the whole trip and I did not have security, they saw the paperwork and I was good to go.

2 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
1 review
1. Re: Somaliland logistics/independent travel from Djibouti

Great feedback & useful details indeed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
306 posts
2. Re: Somaliland logistics/independent travel from Djibouti

Amazing Report.

Reply to: Somaliland logistics/independent travel from Djibouti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Somalia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.