We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Hi! I'm planning on going to Somaliland and Puntland in the future. I was wondering, do you need separate visas for both areas? Also, is the Puntland passport stamp the same as the one you can get in Mogadishu when you land there? Reason being is, I like to collect passport stamps when I travel!

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

You do need separate visas. I believe Somali visas are visa on arrival. Defiantly check your embassy. But they can be issued on arrival at Mogadishu's airport almost all the time. And Puntland does have there own separate visa. But you can get it at Puntland's airport Garowe Airport. You can get it on arrival at Garowe, just like in Mogadishu. I don't think puntland has there own stamp. Just a regular Somali one. And Somaliland's is on arrival at Hargesia Airport. And you can get a somalilander passport stamp. I hope this helps you out! Have a great time in Somalia! (And Somaliland and Puntland).

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Hi, Siva, I'm the same like you! I also collect and like passport stamps very muvh.

Pls keep me informed about the newest situation.

Have you been in Djibouti & Somaliland?

1 post
3. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Somaliland and Puntland are not the same because Puntland is a regional state and Somaliland is a country

do not compare Iam not Somali

When you go to Somaliland you know the truth

F M
Manchester, United...
2 posts
4. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Not true. Somaliland CLAIMS to be a country, the world treats it as part of Somalia, and it is

F M
Manchester, United...
2 posts
5. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Not true. Somaliland CLAIMS to be a country, the world treats it as part of Somalia, and it is

1 post
6. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

If traveling to Somalia, you need a travel agent that arranges all your requirements. Somali visa works all Somalia, while Self autonomous Somaliland has their own visa. you can advise http://www.visitmogadishu.com or somalisafari.com

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
94 reviews
178 helpful votes
7. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

While it's true that technically Somaliland is not a separate country, as far as visas and passport control are concerned, they might as well be. Somaliland has it's own separate VOA program for entry by air and gives you their own passport stamp. No problem to book flights in and out on Ethiopian Airlines (at the time of travel!). If going to anywhere else in Somalia (including Puntland) then you have to follow the regular visa rules for Somalia. (According to the research that we did before travel; we decided to go only to Somaliland.)

This info is from 2019, and I realize that this thread is old, but since it was just reactivated I thought it was worth providing our experience.

1 post
8. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

visa somali

1 post
9. Re: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp

Since when did you become a country stop misleading people. They need one visa to come to Somalia it doesn't matter which region. Somaliland and Puntland are regions. I hope that answers your question.

Reply to: Somaliland and Puntland Visa and passport stamp
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Somalia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.