We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nostalgia

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
Nostalgia

We're looking at taking a cruise to Fiji (including a day in Suva) in March 2020. Bit of a nostalgia trip as we viisited Fiji for our honeymoon over 50 years ago. Is it worth taking a tour or would we be better off just walking around? Is there a HoHo bus in Suva which would probably suit us?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,591 posts
429 reviews
245 helpful votes
1. Re: Nostalgia

You will probably find the cruise ships do shuttles into town. With a map in had you could just walk around then

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands, Rarotonga, Fiji, North Island
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
31 reviews
131 helpful votes
2. Re: Nostalgia

Hi John, how fabulous you're going back after all these years. Would you mind sharing what year you first visited? My husband traveled via boat during the sixties and his mother shared memories with me of their stop in Fiji. My own mother also visited during that time frame (circa 1966/7 I believe it was). Different world entirely back then. I'd love to hear what you recall from that time and where you stayed and anything else you can add. I'm a bit of a history buff when it comes to Fiji and always enjoy hearing about what it was like and different peoples perceptions from days gone by.

All the best for your upcoming trip. It will be different for sure but some things (for example the welcoming attitude and friendliness of the majority of the Fijian people) remains the same. And, of course, the sun and warmth hasn't changed at all. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Nostalgia

Hi Dianz. Thanks for your interest. We flew to Fiji from Perth in January 1966. We intended travelling on Air India all the way however the plane had a mishap when landing in Sydney and after a long delay we were transferred to Pan America.

I can recall staying in Nadi for a couple of days before driving to Suva again for a few days then back to Reef Lodge Resort in I think Sigatoka. There were very few quality places to stay in fact I think the Reef Lodge and one other were the only real resorts. I have a vivid recollection of one driver taking us up onto a headland and looking down into a bay with a perfect tropical island in the middle.

Interestingly my great great grandfather was a Wesleyan missionary to Tonga & Samoa arriving in Tonga in 1836 aboard "The Active". I have some of his original writings and mentions that "The Active" after dropping them at Vavua proceeded to "Feejee" where it ran up on a reef and four of the crew were killed, cooked and eaten by the natives.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
13,884 posts
140 reviews
331 helpful votes
4. Re: Nostalgia

My grandfather travelled to many Pacific islands including Fiji in the 1920’s and 30’’s, I never got to hear his stories but I do have some old artefacts. My father related his recollections of some of his fathers experiences, not always friendly .

I never forgot and Fiji always fascinated me so was the obvious destination for our honeymoon and we have come back every year minus one since.

Edited: 5 years ago
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands, Rarotonga, Fiji, North Island
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
31 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Nostalgia

Thanks so much for sharing John. I spent some time doing a bit of research and had a dig through an old photo album I have here as well. Best I can figure I may well have stayed at the Reef Lodge myself in the early 80's. The pictures I have seem to be a match for bits and pieces of what is, nowadays, The Outrigger Fiji (Sigatoka/Korotogo area - Coral Coast). Obviously the entire area is very different now. I had thought to suggest that you hire a car or arrange transport to head down (up? lol - sideways) that way for a couple of hours during your stop in Suva but, sadly, it's probably logistically just too long being a couple of hours each way from Suva to there.

Anyway, couple of links for you to enjoy a bit of memory lane that you shared with your bride all those years ago...

https://funkyflamingo.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/0701.jpg

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43186&forum=2

and if you want to really get into the groove try playing this for her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO3fJf5lpDI

and although this one is technically Hawaiian in origin I'm pretty sure it's done it's rounds of the South Pacific as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjm4J8c1SIw

As for the experiences of your great great grandfather during his time in 'Feejee' that doesn't surprise me in the least. Only a few years back my husband and I went on a village tour (not far from the Outrigger in fact) and were informed, with no prompting on our part and quite casually, by one of the guides that his Grandfather (or great Grandfather - one or the other) had been , amongst other things, a cannibal on occasion. What does one say to that?? Umm, oh, ahhhh ..... thank-you (I think) for sharing that with us seemed the best option to go with. Just another day in Fiji. PS - I believe that particular 'dish' was referred to as 'long pork'. Yep, seems apt I guess. Glad your GG Grandad wasn't part of the menu and made it back to carry on your branch of the family. :)

Enjoy your cruise and your brief time back in Fiji. Next time try for a bit longer - still a very beautiful place and, heck, they even cater for vegetarians these days. ;-)

Thanks again for taking the time to share your memories.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Nostalgia

Due to Covid our planned cruise in 2020 was cancelled but now at last we're taking off on the Majestic Princess for a 13 day cruise to New Caledonia and Fiji leaving on 11 Feb 2023. So hopefully everything will just fall into place and we'll probably organise transport from the port into Suva City and just browse around.

Of course its 3 years since this trip was first planned and we're both 3 years slower now. We'd still prefer to meet locals and observe life than take adventure type tours.

Antway ever onward and we'll give a report on how we found things when we get back home.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,591 posts
429 reviews
245 helpful votes
7. Re: Nostalgia

Hope you have a wonderful trip John and don't get Covid on the cruise.

Take care and enjoy your time when you reach Fiji.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
70 posts
36 reviews
34 helpful votes
8. Re: Nostalgia

John, I hope you enjoyed your cruise.What did you do in Suva? Our last cruise to Suva was on our honeymoon in May, 1972. We took a taxi to a "beach" which turned out to be a small motel by a mangrove swamp with a rectangular swimming pool. It was such a relief to get off the Oriana as the seas were rough and our cabin was in the bowels of the ship. This time we should be more comfortable, with a balcony on the Celebrity Solstice but I'm looking to see or do something different in Suva. Just not sure what, yet.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: Nostalgia

Hi Oricus Our trip was quite muddled as the on board food and service were not up to previous standard as was the entertainment. Additionaly we missed two of the promised island visits, one as the island was closed to cruise ships and the other due to a medical emergency forcing the ship to turn around and go back briefly to Suva.

As always the Fijian people are lovely and we were fortunate to find a Fijian taxi driver who took us around the city then up into the hills for some spectacular views. We really didn't do anything special in Suva but then again we're at the age now that we like roaming the streets and meeting locals..

Reply to: Nostalgia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Suva
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.