We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange

California
Level Contributor
127 posts
34 reviews
12 helpful votes
Money exchange

Bula, Thought I would get an update on this topic. I thought that I read somewhere that the best place to exchange money was at the airport. We land and then catch fiji airlink to Tavenuvi. There for a week, need to pay for our meal plan. We continue on to Barefoot Manta. We will be in Nadi for one day while waiting for the ferry to Barefoot.

If the airport is the best place is that at a ATM or a money kiosk. Do folks know fees that are involved? Should we take US cash and change that. Does that avoid additional fees.

Thank you for any tips!

1. Re: Money exchange

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines? Edited: 1 year ago
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Money exchange

Welcome back to the forum CaliforniaTravelma.

Yes, take USD and exchange at the airport in Nadi. At the moment the currency exchange rate is very good with 1USD being worth a little more than 2FJD.

Post #3 by fortunatefew, who recently returned from Fiji, has information on exchanging money at the currency exchange offices at the airport in Nadi. Hopefully, someone will be able to advise on the cost for ATM's.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your countdown till you arrive in paradise.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k14027038-Money_exchange_during_layover-Fiji.html

New Zealand
Level Contributor
567 posts
49 reviews
130 helpful votes
3. Re: Money exchange

Hi CaliforniaTravelma

last month when we traveled to fiji, we exchanged NZD (cash) at the Wetspac currency exchange at Nadi airport (after we cleared customs and located in the arrivals area) and were charged a flat fee of $10.

Edited: 1 year ago
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
440 reviews
245 helpful votes
4. Re: Money exchange

One of the recent posters who travelled to Fiji posted this which might help.

I changed some NZD at both desks (the one at baggage claim and the one out by the cafe). The one by the cafe had the better rates but I got the best deal after fees from the Westpac ATMs, even as a non Westpac customer. So I'd suggest that if you're happy with large notes, use the ATMs, but if you need smaller notes go to the desk by the cafe.

Can't find the actual post on the forum but hope this assist.

5. Re: Money exchange

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?
LA County
Level Contributor
300 posts
18 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Money exchange

This is a late update. The Western Union near the airport exit does not charge a fee. Same exchange rate as Westpac. Both of my no foreign conversion fee credit cards gave a much better exchange rate for US$ Up to 2.31FJ$/US$ compared to 2.15$ at WU. Even considering 3% CC fees. Worked out better for resort charges!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
7. Re: Money exchange

Thanks for updating the forum TReLiNe. Very helpful for those from the states to know that credit cards with no conversion fee have a better exchange rate than exchanging USD. Every little savings helps.

8. Re: Money exchange

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Fiji
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.