We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singles in the cook islands

Lake Charles...
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
7 helpful votes
Singles in the cook islands

Are there things for singles to do in the cook islands, or is this strictly a destination for couples?

10 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Singles in the cook islands

Kia Orana drritarae, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

There is plenty to do for solo travellers in the Cook Islands. The more adventurous go off to the outer islands as they are keen to explore natural scenery, but the ones who remain on Rarotonga meet many other travellers and have a great time mixing and mingling with visitors and locals.

Adults only accommodation is pitched at the higher end of the tourism market, while backpacker hostels and budget accommodation sees people keen to get out and explore and experience as much island life as possible.

Activities range from beaches, snorkelling, swimming, SUP, kayaking, lagoon tours, hiking, walks, history, culture, crafts and historical sights, cycling tours, museums, night-life tours and island-nights.

Rarotonga has an affordable bus service, rental vehicles, cycles and e-bikes, taxis, shuttles and flight-seeing.

There is plenty to do for all ages, and this tourism website is a helpful resource - https://www.cookislands.travel/

Kia manuia.

auckland
Level Contributor
109 posts
53 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Singles in the cook islands

I always travel on my own. I stay in a holiday rental. I like my own company.

There is plenty to do and you do see people on there own. For me it’s about relaxing, meals out and cocktails.

Beautiful views. It’s my happy place ....best medication ever!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Singles in the cook islands

Which is the best place to stay for a solo travelled. I like to have the odd night out and then quiet but not too far away. So it could be a resort that has night life or not too far away from night life?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
4. Re: Singles in the cook islands

Hi neilt-nz

lazyauckland will be able to give you lots of advice if you want to stay in self-contained accommodation. But if you think you'd like a small resort where you won't be surrounded by loads of kids, but will have good facilities and some entertainment on site have a look at these 2 resorts. I think either will give you what you're looking for.

http://www.aroabeach.com/

http://www.castawayvillas.com/

The Sunset Resort is also excellent, but the two above may offer more for the single traveller, I think.

Rarotonga is not a party island, but you'll also find bars around the island, island nights at various resorts and other forms of entertainment.

Let us know if these resorts offer the sort of thing you're looking for.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands, Rarotonga, Fiji, North Island
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
32 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Singles in the cook islands

There was a great thread discussing solo travelers and the two resorts nzlilibet has linked above for you a couple of years back. If you'd like to take a read for more info check here...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g294328-i2626-k9378167-Aroa_or_the_castaway-Cook_Islands.html

Edited: 6 years ago
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Singles in the cook islands

I've been to Aroa Beachside Inn several times since the current owners took over. It is a much quieter place to stay nowadays, with musicians entertaining the small crowd on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:30pm.

The Islander has gone for more of a younger persons party-theme with their outdoor Hula bar, cheap drinks and cheaper accommodation.

Party buses are a good option for singles who want to mix and mingle in the safety of a driver and guide for the night. There are 3 night-life tours available, with Friday nights being the main night out on the rock.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Singles in the cook islands

thanks im a bit of an older single mid 40s

auckland
Level Contributor
109 posts
53 reviews
47 helpful votes
8. Re: Singles in the cook islands

I like Moana Sunset a small studio with spectacular Deck and reasonably priced. I use the bus to get around and if you are going out to dinner restaurant will drop you back.

I also like Vaka beach which is almost in the water and next door to my favourite restaurant.

I’m happy to eat alone etc.

9. Re: Singles in the cook islands

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

10. Re: Singles in the cook islands

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Singles in the cook islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avarua
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.