We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese

Culverden, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
16 helpful votes
Cheese

Can we take cheese that has been wrapped commercially but not sealed eg Brie etc

2 replies to this topic
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
93 reviews
103 helpful votes
1. Re: Cheese

Yes, you can take any cheese, meat, snacks etc that you want - just no fruit or vegetables. I always package my food up together in a little chiller bag (packed in my checked in luggage) and make sure I declare it all. I write up a little list to show the customs, they never look but it certainly shows that I am aware of their rules and prepared to open my bag etc.

ps, yes we always take Brie and other cheese like this. No problems at all :)

Edited: 6 years ago
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Cheese

Kia Orana Vicki, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Brie cheese is sold on Raro. CITC gets a weekly air-freighted consignment of dairy products from Auckland. But the price is twice that of Auckland supermarkets. Still I do buy Brie on a regular basis, once supplies brought over from NZ have run out.

The small collapsible chiller bags that you buy in NZ supermarkets are very useful, not only to bring perishables over, but we use ours a lot each time we go to the supermarket here, or for a drive to carry cold drinks and a snack to the various beaches.

Kia manuia.

Reply to: Cheese
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Avarua
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.