We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

Chandler’s Ford...
Level Contributor
221 posts
137 reviews
volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

Hello

I am going to volunteer in Huancayo for about 6 weeks (www.volunteersharingdreamsperu.org/ Just in case anyone has heard of it) I need some guidance on travelling and what to see please.

Im flying in from the UK and was thinking about arriving in Lima and getting the train to Huancayo it sounds like an amazing trip. I no doubt will need an overnight in Lima. I think I have found the train informaiton but I cant check dates - http://www.ferrocarrilcentral.com.pe Is this the only website It looks like it is only running on 10th and 27th August - or if I do the trip the other way around its October 5th is that right ? I cant get it in English.

Before returning to the UK I want to visit Machu Picchu and Cusco .

How do I get back to Cusco ?

As I said I could do the trip the other way around.

I will check out other forums re the visit to MP - I dont want a long trek just a day trip

Unusually for me I will be travelling alone .. and my Spanish is at the most basic level

any help gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Caroline

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

I did the trip a couple of years back, when the train ran once a week. Now it runs only twice a month or thereabouts. The dates you have are correct. It's a long trip, but quite enjoyable. Much quicker by bus!

It's possible to get from Huancayo to Cusco by bus, without backtracking to Lima. But you would need to allow two or three days. You'd go first to Ayacucho, which is a scenic ride. From there I think there are buses to Cusco, but not sure if you need to change again en route. An up-to-date guidebook would have the info. The alternative would be to backtrack to Lima and then fly to Cusco from there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

Hello, I was travelled to Huacayo from Lima in May and took bus back. It was a four hours scenic ride to see the glacier lake and mountain range in the central Peru. The bus is very comfortable and cost is low. The bus schedules are frequent everyday. If you have free time in Huancayo in the weekend, I will highly recommend you to visit Nor Yauyos Cochas landscape reserve which is fours drive from Huancayo. The landscape is stunning beautiful but was ignored by many tourists because difficulty to get there.The main tourist town is Huancaya in the region. There is a tour agency in Huancayo can provide one day tour. There is a bus leaving every Saturday to Huancaya and come back Sunday. Don't miss the chance to visit this unbelievable beautiful landscape if you are in Huancayo or you may regret it.

Chandler’s Ford...
Level Contributor
221 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

Thank you both

That is helpful :)

Just found out there is a flight from Lima to Jauja which takes an hour the an hour to Huancayo so thats looking good !

Then the train back .

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
221 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

Hello, I took flight from Lima to Jauja and ask local tour agency to provide a transfer service to Hauncao, You can ask Lucho of Incas del Peru in Huancayo to provide the service. He is a excellent guy who can speak fluent English.It is a safe one hour ride.

5. Re: volunteering in Huancayo. Getting there & back seeing MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2018, 16:17