We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos day trips

Chiapa de Corzo...
2 posts
Save Topic
Galapagos day trips

Hi, my partner and I are trying to plan a trip to the Galapagos and do it on a budget. We have done quite a bit of research and thought we had found a great trip but have now found out the itinery has changed! I read somewhere about basing yourself in a hotel at Puerto Ayora and doing day trips from there. All I was wondering is, would there be trips to all the main Islands and would this be a cheaper option than a cruise which may go to places you don't want to go to.

Also if we did it ourselves, would it be possible to get on a boat to an island and follow the paths ourselves or do you require a guide at all times on the islands?

P.s. the islands we really want to go to are Rabida, Bartholomew, Islas Plaza, Florenana and Espanola.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Galapagos day trips

Thx, do you think it's easy in 1 jam packed day on Santa Cruz from Peorto Ayora to do the free things on my own? charles darwin centre, beach, what else? soem nice animals....then for 2 or 3 days left what's the best highlights of Galapagos islands? Want to swim with sharks, turles, sea lions, penguins, rays,etc and island exotic animals see the land and sealizzards (forget the name lol) but yes where is easiest for that?

So say I do Bartalone next day, any half days early? where the 2pm ferry can then get me to Isabella thur and fri day tour to hike the volcano there and I think shark swiming with hammer heads? then Sat return 6am or do San Cristobel or is that less attractive?

4 days just ahve time for best highlights and can't obviously see it all, what do you recommend with 4 days but just myself and energetic early rise to evening...no problem! I usually conquor cities in 3 days but guess i'll do as much as i can and leave it at that for this one :) Thx again

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Galapagos day trips

We did a 6-days islandhopping tour from 4/9 till 9/9 and it was great! We visited Santa Cruz, Isabela Island and Santa Fe and we did see all the wildlife mentioned in guides: turtles, bluefooted boobies, sealions, marine iguanas, land iguanas, pelicans and numurous birds. We booked it in advance at galapagosoptions.com and it was really worth the price. Everything, except for the park fee and the dok fee, was included, as was written on the website. We don't know where the bad reviews about our guide, Jhover Alvarez come from, but we think he is a really good, level 3 guide, who speaks very good English and arranged everything very smooth during our tour. We think he is a very decent man who is doing his job with passion. We really recommend Galapagos Options to book your trip to the Galapagos Islands!

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Galapagos day trips

Hello, I just saw your post and hoping you can make a suggestion. I want to try to do a couple of day trips to see the most I am able to see in the Galapagos. I plan to go with my mother-in-law (she is in her 80s, but still likes to be active, yet not a fan of cruise ships. Is it possible to find a reasonable hotel on the mainland and take a couple of tour guided day trips that aren't terribly expensive. We plan to visit her sister in Lima, Peru and would like to go to Ecuador for a few days (either before or after the Lima visit)

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you and have a nice day!

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Galapagos day trips

>> Is it possible to find a reasonable hotel on the mainland and take a couple of tour guided day trips that aren't terribly expensive?

In one word or less -- NO (sorry 'bout that). Flights between Guayaquil & Galápagos are ball-park 2 hours (plus check-in and clearance on arrival), followed by making your way to the port for a bone-crushing 2-hour ride in a speedboat, then the whole works in reverse to get back to the mainland. To do the flights once is bad enough; to do them several times is far worse, if not impossible. It would be a lot more relaxing to book a naturalist cruise for 3, 4 or 7 nights.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Galapagos day trips

Thanks for your response. Sounds like s stupid question, but... is a naturalist cruise a bare bones boat?

In other words, my mother-in-law wants to accompany us, she does not swim or snorkel and is accustomed to comfortable accommodations (simple is fine - clean and comfortable bed) but also, she is concerned about seasickness.

Are the cruises mainly for sleeping, accessibility and proximity, or would we be on the boat traveling for hours on end?

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Galapagos day trips

Hey, the only stupid question is the one not asked<g>. The "naturalist cruise" phrase has come to mean a multi-day cruise with a licensed naturalist aboard. In fact, no one is allowed within the natural park (which comprises about 98% of the islands) unless accompanied by a naturalist, and there must be one naturalist for each group of no more than 16 passengers. The yachts can be anything from bare bones to high end, and the latter generally attract higher-end guides. Cabins can be anything from spartan to deluxe.

The general routine is: pickup at the airport, board the yacht, sail from one island to another. Long hauls are generally overnight. Typical day is breakfast, land at a visitor site, back to the ship for lunch, siesta and another nearby visitor site, back for dinner, briefing and sail to next island. Look at the "Top Questions" (upper right) for various boat reviews to get an idea of what's available.

The other option is to stay in a hotel on one of the populated islands, visit places on that island and/or take those high-speed boats to other locations. Generally, it's a rough ride of 2 hours or so each way. Much more relaxing to live on the yacht for the duration of the cruise.

27. Re: Galapagos day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 19:17