We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portable oxygen rentals in Quito

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
66 reviews
43 helpful votes
Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

Hello,

Am thinking of booking a Galapagos trip that includes 3 days in Quito. I know I get altitude sickness and want to have oxygen so I can go and not slow down my fellow travelers. Do they rent portable oxygen machines down there?

This question was asked a few years ago and the topic was closed. Hoping things might have changed.

TIA, QC

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
329 reviews
179 helpful votes
1. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

I would imagine that oxygen is In extremely short supply in the midst of a pandemic and such supplies as there are, would be better employed in saving lives in a critical care unit than alleviating the altitude sickness symptoms of a tourist.

Why not just consult you doctor to see whether you a prescription for azcetalomide (aka Diamox ) would be suitable. It helps alleviate the symptoms for many people and at an altitude of 2800 is not high enough to cause the vast majority of people problems anyway. Your aircraft on the flight in will be pressurised to an altitude of 2400 m so not a huge difference.

Cumbaya, Ecuador
Level Contributor
283 posts
13 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

Hello Quin

The previous comment if correct in all the aspects , we had recently a couple with the same questions and the best thing that we did is to put them in Cumbaya area near Quito , there are couple good hotels but my recommendation is Casa Ilayaku that is at 8000 feet the same of the pressurize cabin of a plane as crellson mention or Flight to Guayaquil that is sea level before you go to Galapagos.

All the best

Paul Bustos

Andesconexion Travel

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
66 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

Thank you. Will look into Guayaquil

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
139 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

Quito is a lovely city, you should not miss it!

You can go to Los Alpes outdoor gear shop located at Wilson and Reina Victoria streets, they sell oxygen canisters for climbing, that helps you while wandering in Quito.

Most visitors start to feel the symptoms of altitude once they start hiking up.

To avoid those symptoms you shoud drink two coffee cups with sugar in the morning and get some extra chocolate or candy for walking in Quito. Sugar provides you with energy and that is what you need when you are at 9000 ft. of height.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
66 reviews
43 helpful votes
5. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

Thank you Dennis. Was in Cuzco a few years ago. Loved Cuzco but didn’t enjoy it as much as I could have. By the time we left, I had to have help getting on the plane. Hoping a cannula and portable oxygen with a good battery will keep me going. Many thanks.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
139 reviews
126 helpful votes
6. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

You are welcome Quincy!

Have nice travels in Ecuador!

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
7. Re: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Save

I have asthma and migraines and a history of altitude sickness. Typically vomit once I hit 8000 feet + headache. My doctor recommended Dexamethasone and then I will take the Diamox if I get symptoms.

If you have lung disease that affects your daily oxygen saturation at sea level than looking for oxygen is probably a priority. But otherwise you could probably manage with medication.

Reply to: Portable oxygen rentals in Quito
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.