We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM availability

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
992 posts
43 reviews
17 helpful votes
ATM availability

Does anyone know if there is currently a functional ATM machine in Stanley?

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
35,431 posts
97 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: ATM availability

Hi, you could ask the tourist board or any tour guide or establishment on their website.

But, cash is very rarely needed for visitors, and some shops will give you cash if you purchase goods with a debit or credit card.

The machine, as far as I knew, was at a petrol station on the outskirts of town, so not convenient for visitors on foot. Hope this helps.

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
992 posts
43 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: ATM availability

Answering my own question for others’ reference, there is an ATM at the service station on the edge of Stanley next door to The (Lookout) Lodges. But it went out of service on the day I arrived (a Friday) and they said the technician would call from the UK probably on Monday to fix it. I went back every day or two and the technician never called. I left today (8 days later) and the machine was still down, so I never got to use it. I spoke to someone at the post office who said they (the Falkland Islanders) were so excited when it was put it, but it frequently has issues (she didn’t quantify frequent), and since it is the only one, it is a recurrent frustration. I was td tou can buy something at the grovwey store, pay with a credit card and get cash back but I never did that. I spent over a week there and used a visa card the whole time. The only two places I needed to pay with cash were the Globe Tavern and a small non-tourist shop on a back street, but both of them happily took US dollars. Going back I won’t worry about cash at all.

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
992 posts
43 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: ATM availability

Thank you Peterscot. You were exactly right. That is where the machine is and it really wasn’t an issue.

Reply to: ATM availability
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stanley
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.