We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Stanley King Penguins

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
49 helpful votes
Port Stanley King Penguins

Hi, we’re on a cruise that docks at Port Stanley on 20th Feb. We really want to see some King Penguins but so far everything I try is booked for both Volunteer Point and Bluff Cove. I’ve contacted most companies on the tourist board website and I keep checking the cruise excursions for cancellations, I’ve emailed the cruise line also to see if there’s a waitlist (as yet no reply). Is there anywhere else on the island I might be able to see King Penguins, even if it’s not a colony, a handful would be better than none. We’re happy to take a taxi or hire a car to somewhere accessible. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
94 posts
55 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

Try contacting Kidney Cove Tours/Murrell Farm, this probably would be your last shot, as other rookeries farther away and on other islands.

Edited: 1 year ago
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

Thank you, I will try these.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35,434 posts
97 reviews
106 helpful votes
3. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

There is a big colony at Volunteer Point, and smaller ones at Bluff Cove and Saunders Island. There may be a few others dotted around, and it is not unusual for individuals to pop up anywhere.

In fact, there has been one on a road recently. They must come ashore every year to moult and grow new feathers. Whether that happens during your visit is impossible to predict, but it is a possibility.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

The most expedient way to get to Volunteer Point is Falkland Helicopter services. They have a website.

There are also some Kings and Gentoos at the east end of York Bay which is unusual. There is no easy access to that site so the best option is to take the Gypsy Cove shuttle bus service to the West end of York Bay and walk from there. I think its a 30 minute walk each way.

University Heights...
Level Contributor
70 posts
103 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

I was there in mid January, at that time there were 11 on the beach of Gypsy Cove outside of Stanley. I believe there is a shuttle out to the cove.

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

i just returned ask uour wait staff about the bus ride for $20 to see the Penguins not $199.00 per person princess cruise charges

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
50 reviews
115 helpful votes
7. Re: Port Stanley King Penguins

FYI - Helicopter service has been discontinued.

Reply to: Port Stanley King Penguins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stanley
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.