We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer Point for a diabetic?

Omaha
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
Volunteer Point for a diabetic?

My wife and I are going to be in Stanley in November as part of a Holland America cruise. We would like to take the excursion to Volunteer Point. We are both in early 70's and in reasonably good health except for wife who is type I diabetic and wears an insulin pump. Can anyone advice whether or not it would be a good idea for her to go to VP? Like are there facilities (restrooms and restaurants) on Volunteer Point or on the road down? Perhaps there are diabetics out there that have made the trip and would like to chime in?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35,484 posts
97 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Volunteer Point for a diabetic?

Hi,

Firstly, I don't know the impact of having diabetes or a insulin pump. So I cant comment on the suitability of the excursion for your wife. However, I imagine your cruise ship has had lots of experience going there, and they should be able to advise. They'll also have doctors who can advise.

As for facilities, there are restrooms (toilets) at Vp, and at the settlement of Johnsons harbour. No restaurants, or indeed any other buildings, apart from the wardens house. Google it for images.

Johnsons Harbour is about halfway from Stanley. After that, there is no road: it is an overland, off-road boggy track only usable by experienced drivers with suitable vehicles.

Hope that helps a little. Maybe worth asking your cruise line.

Edited: 4 years ago
Omaha
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Volunteer Point for a diabetic?

Thanks for your reply. I will contact HA.

3. Re: Volunteer Point for a diabetic?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Stanley
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.