We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

Hello TA experts

I am planning my family's (5 adults) trip to Japan from 23 Dec to 6 Jan. My husband & I have visited Tokyo & Kyoto and this is our children's first visit. After quite an extensive research, I have worked out the intinerary below :

23 Dec - Arrive Osaka in early morning. Check into hotel (in Namba, near Nippombashi Station). Relax. Lunch & dinner at Dotonbori

24 Dec - Osaka - Kuromon Market, Hozen Temple, Shinsaibashi, Osaka Castle & Park, Shitennoji Temple, Namba Park

25 Dec - Osaka - Half day trip to Nara. Evening - Osaka Station, Grand Front Osaka, Kuchu Teien Observatory, cruise back to Namba

26 Dec - Osaka - Day trip to Himeji & Hiroshima

27 Dec - Osaka, Free & Easy

28 Dec - Kyoto - Checking into Mitsui Garden Hotel Kyoto Shijo.

Arashiyama (Tenryu-ji, Bamboo Grove, Togtsukyo Bridge), Hozugawa Boat Cruise.

29 Dec - Kyoto - Yasaka Shrien, Philosopher's Walk, Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Ginkakuji, Gion

30 Dec - Kyoto - Daigoji Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Sanjusangendo

31 Dec - Kyoto - Kyoto Imperial Palace, Nishiki Market

1 Jan - Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji Temple and checking into Ryokan Nenrinbo (will relax & enjoy onsen)

2 Jan - Tokyo - Checking into Tokyo Stay Gotanda.

Shinjuku, Harajuku

3 Jan - Tokyo - half day trip to Mt Takao (if weather permits), Shibuya

4 Jan - Tokyo - Asasuka, Akihabura, Ginza

5 Jan - Tokyo - Tsukiji Market, Free & Easy

6 Jan - Depart for home :)

I have already booked our air tickets and hotel accommodation. The next stage is to look into details of the various places of interests (opening hours, how to get there, etc). Pending that, I would appreciate your advice / feedback on my itinerary and if I have missed anything interesting, recommendation on where to eat, etc With the above itinerary, is it advisable for us to buy the 14 day JR Pass?

I look forward to your comments and thank you in advance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

Any comments on my itinerary, TA Japan experts?

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
2. Re: Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

>>26 Dec - Osaka - Day trip to Himeji & Hiroshima

It is impossible, imo. You may want to Himeji and Hiroshima/Miyajima on separate days.

>>31 Dec - Kyoto - Kyoto Imperial Palace, Nishiki Market

Imperial Palace is closed on 28 Dec-4 Jan. You could skip it.

You should not buy 14 day JR pass as your long distance travels are Osaka-Hiroshima and Kyoto-Tokyo. Instead, you may consider 7 day JR pass or Kansai Hiroshima area pass.

westjr.co.jp/global/…

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
3. Re: Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

>>29 Dec - Kyoto - Yasaka Shrien, Philosopher's Walk, Kiyomizu-dera Temple, Ginkakuji, Gion

>>30 Dec - Kyoto - Daigoji Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Sanjusangendo

I suggest going to Ginkaku-ji and Daigoji on the same day. You can take JR Tozai Line from Daigo to Higashiyama, take a taxi from Higashiyama to Ginkaku-ji and walk down along Philosopher's Walk to Nanzen-ji.

Nishiki Market will be packed on 30-31 Dec.

Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo will be crowded on 2 Jan. The afternoon's will be worse.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

Thank you for your comments seo_hayami. It is very much apprecaite. I will relook at my itinerary and seek advise again.

5. Re: Pls comment, 14 days Dec/Jan itinerary Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2017, 17:16