We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

I'm headed to Bali in a month and was wondering the rules on purchasing at Duty Free.

We're hoping to purchase alcohol in Duty Free as we depart from Melbourne, taking the alcohol into Bali.

Is this possible? Is it easy to do?

Thanks in advance :)

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

The duty free allowance going into Indonesia/Bali is 1 litre per adult. There is no Duty Free shop at Bali Arrivals Terminal so good idea to purchase it in Melbourne.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
20 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

My humble advice is "Don't do it"

you better buy it at Indonesia duty free rather than you brought it here because sometimes the immigration were quite complicated regarding Alcohol, not only in Bali but also at Indonesia in general.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

Buy your one litre per person (aged 18yrs and over) in Melbourne. You will have no problems taking this into Bali as it is allowed. Do not arrive in Bali and expect to purchase duty free when you arrive. The alcohol sold at the airport is NOT duty free and very expensive.

Also to add: any imported alcohol is very expensive in Bali so you should always take it in with you.

The only problem you would encounter at the Bali airport on arrival is if you decide to bring in more than you are legally allowed so don't risk it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

Buy in Melbourne Duty Free - have never had a problem entering Bali with 1 litre per person.

Victoria
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

We arrived Sat night. I always bring my own champagne as this is hard to get here. This time I had 2 bottles in my luggage and my husband had 2 X 375ml bottles in his I just bought all at Dan Murphys. He also had a 1 litre bottle of Jim Beam that was 2/3 full. When our luggage came off carousel (after 45min wait) we both had yellow cable ties on our cases, but so did many others. I can't be sure what it meant as they were then xraying most people...but I still was worried LOL. I didn't declare because we were just over, in the past I have packed 4+ bottles and declared it and always been waved thru. But once again, nothing happened, we were sent thru no worries. In future I will declare when bring in excess though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

Thank you so much, everyone! Just needed my information clarified! :)

Edited: 23 May 2016, 21:57
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

Just to reiterate Snookys post and clarify the incorrect information in post 2, there is NO duty free on arrival at DPS. After customs and immigration you are forced go through a shop called Dufry which is set up to look and sound like a duty free store, but it isn't. It's bordering on a scam so don't be fooled.

8. Re: Taking Duty Free Alcohol into Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2017, 17:17