We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HNR part 2-Ubud

Narangba, Australia
Level Contributor
914 posts
57 reviews
HNR part 2-Ubud

Sunday 16th transferred from Legian to our accommodation in Ubud.

We left Legian at 11 and being a Sunday, the traffic wasn't too bad. On the way we stopped at Tegenungan waterfall. There were lots of people here and being a really hot day, the two boys went in for a swim. The waterfall was nice but I could see from pics that during wet season would be spectacular. 165 steps down and 165 steps back up!

Checked into our small hotel Jani's place cottages which is next door to Tegal Sari. The hotel has only 12 rooms and 4 are family rooms. The location is excellent for walking around the number of shops, restaurants and spas.

Went for a walk down Monkey Forest road in search of a late lunch and went into Cafe du Monyet. Great snacks and icy cold bintangs looking over a small rice field. Headed actiss the road to Ibu Susu to book dinner fir Thursday night for our wedding anniversary. Stopped at Coco's to pick up sime supplies and back to hotel where we organised a rafting trip for the following day.

Dinner was at Taco Casa around 100m down the road. Was a very popular place and there was a line up to get in. Foid was good and kids were happy with Mexican (because that's why you come to Bali??).

On Monday morning we were picked up at 9 for our rafting. The company we went with was Payung and the price was 350k each which is less than half of what we paid last year going with Sobek.

600 steps down to the river and we are not talking regular sized house steps!

River was flowing a bit quicker than the same time last year but had been reading that August had a fair amount of rainfall. It is still not a trip for anyone after a surge of adrenaline.

Our guide Komung was amazing with the kids! Mandatory stop halfway to purchase a few highly priced drinks. The entire time on the river was around an hour an a half and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the time is well shaded and the scenery is stunning! Arrive at the end and only 250 (not regular size) steps back to the pick up point. Legs are feeling like jelly and I make a mental note of working on my cardio fitness.

Lunch which was included was good and I can say that it isn't worth paying double with a more expensive company for the same experience.

Dinner again at Taco Casa.

Tuesday we had planned on the bike ride from Mt Batur but our poor legs just weren't up to it (even though there isn't a lot of peddling involved). We all took a walk into town and had full body massages. Son number 2 (he's 8) loved it! The day was really hot and humid so we were dripping wet after only a few hundred metres. Lots of monkeys around monkey forest road but the boys were not put off by their experience at Uluwatu and were desperate to head into the forest. Last year there were locals selling overpriced bananas for tourists to be swamped by monkeys but this year there were none which I think is a good thing. We did see a couple of tourists get their drinks stolen though. One lady in particular looked terrified as a monkey climbed up her bag to get to her water which was in a place difficult for the monkey to get to but clearly seen. Monkey won!

Dinner was at Cafe Wyan. All three males were happy with their meals while I thought my chicken curry was only ok.

Wednesday we had the driver pick us up at 8 for a trip into the mountains to go to Bali treetops park. Number one son was getting very car sick so we had to pull over 3 times. Once there the nausea quickly evaporated and the boys spent 4 hours climbing and zip lining through the trees. I managed to do two of the courses but after that was pretty wasted! After all the exercise we've been doing, I keep expecting to wake up a couple sizes smaller but no such luck! I had wanted to visit the temple on the lake afterwards but due to carsick child, thought it best to head back to Ubud. Travelling with kids makes for a much different holiday than life before children!

MAJOR traffic issues from just before the bridge heading into Ubud town and we only managed to move around 2km in an hour. Bith in and out of Ubud were at a complete standstill and there were several people taking pictures of the traffic chaos. Even our driver took a picture to send to his daughter as a way to explain why he would be home late. We ended up getting dropped off at the closest point to walk the rest of the way as it was the quickest option!

Thursday included a walk to the markets where kids bought masks (trying to fit them into our already crowded bags was fun!!) We also stopped at a sports store where hubby and the two boys ended up purchasing shoes at around 1/3 the cost of home.

It was our wedding anniversary so we headed to Ibu susu for dinner. WOW! Food was amazing! Highly recommend!!

Friday was check out and a midday pick uo for transferring to our next location- Nusa Lembongan.

10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
142 reviews
1. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Wow, you guys are fitting a lot in on your holiday! Good on you 😊 thanks for a great report and congratulations on your wedding anniversary. What a beautiful place to spend it 😊

Orange County...
Level Contributor
889 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Yay for another wonderful report Mazz!

Bummer about the car sickness! 😔 Is it a very windy road up there? Or just a bad day for him?

And what dishes did you guys have at IBU?!? I’m hoping to make a stop in there too!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Thanks for the great report, it's good to hear what everyone gets up to.

Narangba, Australia
Level Contributor
914 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Have written a review for Ibu susu. Standouts were ketuts fried chicken and pork buns ( and I don't usually like pork). Lycheelicious cocktail and expresso martini are amazing!

Windy road up there but he does suffer carsickness at times. Have now bought travel tabs!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
244 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Great report Mazza, even if your cardio fitness was up the legs would still be like jelly with all those stairs. Happy anniversary. 🥂

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Thanks for the report, I'm trying to talk my daughter into rafting and you make it sound lovely, I just won't mention the steps lol

Narangba, Australia
Level Contributor
914 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Tanalee, the trip is well worth it! If your daughter is worried about it being too extreme, she definitely doesn't need to worry! Very picturesque and good fun!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
30 posts
8. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Sounds like you had a lovely time Mazzam! We (I mean me just me - LOL) am too terrified to try the Monkey Forest. Looking forward to reading more of your reports :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud

Great report ,Thanks Mazza

Cheers Mac 😎😎

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: HNR part 2-Ubud