We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

I have booked to go to Bali and found out I am pregnant, is it safe to travel there? Booked to go for 2 weeks in June. Is the Zika virus there? Any advice would be much appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
281 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

Hi

Ask your O&G as TA would never be able to pinpoint the answer

australia
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

You really must discuss this with your Physician. You couldn't possibly ask this question of a bunch of people who holiday in Bali.

Edited: 17 May 2018, 01:18
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

The most common Mosquito borne disease is dengue, not zika

Zika is like once in a blue moon

You might heard about an aircraft accident halfway around the globe but you will most likely hit by a car

Orange County...
Level Contributor
826 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

According to the CDC and the BIMC Hospital page, yes there is a risk of contracting Zika in Bali. However only you can decide if it is a risk that you are willing to take. I'll be honest, I don't know what I would decide if I were pregnant either. I believe the risk is low, but I would likely be so paranoid about it that I wouldn't sleep well at all. So the trip for me could be more stressful than enjoyable, but that's just me.

I'm not a worrier by nature when it comes to me, but pregnancy is a whole other ballgame.

Have a look at these pages if you haven't already. And as others have said, definitely speak to your OBGYN.

https:/…risk-of-zika-selected-destination

bimcbali.com/medical-news/health-officials-z…

Edited: 17 May 2018, 05:47
Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

Only you can ultimately decide what you should do, but my daughter travelled to Bali when she was about 16 weeks pregnant and all was fine.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

Hi Robyn, I understand your concern regarding travelling to Bali while pregnant but honestly you should be having a discussion with your health care provider. There are a lot of knowledgeable members on this forum who are apt at answering general tourist type questions but I have not yet seen a qualified medical professional give advise on Zika virus issues.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

I agree with baliAustralia post 2 and LynnePP post 6 asking non qualified travellers regarding a medical query where 50% will say small risk and 50% will say only you can decide will only confuse you more. Ask your medical professional.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

If you take precautions with food and water and avoid getting bitten by mozzies you definitely lower any risk. I travelled 8 weeks pregnant to Nepal and India and had no issues at all apart from morning sickness. I was very precious about food and water but not so stressed out that it wasn't worth going. Even if you ask a 'medical professional' you are going to get varied advice, and at the end of the day it's up to you what risk you want to take.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?

Exactly that's why asking a group of travellers with their own perception of risk is really of no help, what concerns one will not overly concern the next person, only creates more confusion of how risky it would be or not be

Reply to: Is it safe to travel to Bali whilst pregnant?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted