We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The price of silver?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
The price of silver?

Hello 👋

Can you buy good quality silver in Bali for a great price?

14 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
866 reviews
1. Re: The price of silver?

Yes you can.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: The price of silver?

Where is the best place to buy? From the streets or proper shops? And how would you pay for a bracelet?

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
866 reviews
3. Re: The price of silver?

You should buy from proper shops. If you buy from the street there is a chance that you will not be buying 925 Silver and that the silver content might be less than 92.5%.

If you buy in Kuta or Seminyak or Ubud, you can find nice styles, and only you can judge is the price is good for you or not. Personally I only buy at wholesale price for resale.

I pay by credit card. Sometimes I make a bank transfer. Small silver shops in the villages usually do not have credit card machines and only accept cash.

Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: The price of silver?

Depending on where you are staying as there are silver jewellery shops in Ubud, Sanur, Seminyak, Legian, Kuta.

There are many large jewellery showrooms e.g where drivers take tourists or you will see large tour buses arrive in Celuk/Sukawati, you can go off the main road & into the villages to find smaller shops.

It's really your choice whether you buy from a retail silver shop in the tourist areas or one of the showrooms in Celuk.

The only time i've bought from a showroom in Celuk it was hard work to bargain the price.

I would not buy from the glass cabinets in front of shops, most if not all comes from Java. I know one seller in Legian and he brings the silver jewellery to the cabinet carried in a large plastic bag with individual bags e.g bracelets etc.

Some silver shops will advertise discount on their window, e.g 20%, 30%, you can ask staff in a silver shop "Do you give discount", some will, some "No, sorry".

Was told by staff (lady) as we stood outside a showroom to watch a worker demonstrating,

the silver is imported from Sumatra & is only processed in Bali, 92,5% silver 7.5%copper (melted together) to make it stronger as 100% is too soft.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
237 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: The price of silver?

Some shops will weigh the piece so sell on weight, not sure what the price is, the more ornate the higher the price to reflect the work. Agree with post 4 some of the shops/showrooms in Celuk are hard work to get the price down,

Look at a few fixed price shops to give you a guide, one of my faves is Filthy Gorgeous (love name) also have shopped at Bintang Silver in Legian although selection is a little tired now.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: The price of silver?

I’ll be staying in Legian for 5 nights. Could you please tell me the name of the shop/seller you’re talking about?

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: The price of silver?

When in doubt the silver is real use a magnet.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
866 reviews
8. Re: The price of silver?

The wholesale price of plain 925 silver (that means silver without stones) is around Rp10,000 per gram. That applies to bracelets and necklace chains, most of which are manufactured in Java in factories. You may get cheaper than this, say down to Rp8,000 per gram, but be careful of the silver content. Since you are not buying for business, expect to pay more than this.

As mentioned above, some suppliers will sell more than Rp10,000 per gram if most work has been involved in making the item. Again, this is wholesale price, so the closer you get to this price the better.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: The price of silver?

Nice little honest Silver shop Kuta beach end ( 3 stores up) in Poppies 2 lane. Family business and the lady is pretty good on her prices and has discounted stuff I have brought before. Yes it has been good silver. She has cheap stuff also and will tell you if its not high grade.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 22:59
australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
10. Re: The price of silver?

Adrian, Sue B has given you two names. I have purchased some lovely pieces from Kapal Laut - they have a website. My pieces are as good as when I purchased them.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 23:06
Reply to: The price of silver?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted