We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur or legian

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Sanur or legian

Me and my husband are visiting Bali from 2nd to 8th June 2018. We are looking forward to a relaxing beach holiday alongwith some experience of Balinese culture. Even after exploring several websites and blogs I am still unable to decide which beach location to choose. My pick is between Legian (Padma resort) and sanur. We would neither prefer extremely crowded beaches nor extremely secluded ones. Something that provides us nice options to eat out (vegetarian food), some market options to stroll by and some bit of nightlife to experience.

Pls provide inputs which area should I pick.

Also I wish to see few places in ubud... mainly tegallalang, Goa gajah, campuhan ridge walk, ubud art market‭ . Should I be staying in ubud to explore these places or a day trip from my beach location can be done.

Thanks !

16 replies to this topic
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Sanur or legian

Legian is a dangerous surf beach and Sanur is a calm protected beach if that helps?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,139 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Sanur or legian

Have a read of the information on the attached link and see if it helps with your decision.

You can visit those locations from a beach location, but you would need to make an early start in order to do it all.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Canberra
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
1 review
3. Re: Sanur or legian

I prefer Legian.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
142 reviews
4. Re: Sanur or legian

I would choose Sanur. As Greg said it is a calmer beach and as for vegetarian food you have the night markets where the locals cook beautiful vegetarian food and it's cheap!

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Sanur or legian

I also prefer Legian (Well, I really prefer Kuta, but you didn't ask about Kuta)

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Sanur or legian

Your second sentence made the answer easy. Sanur is the better option for you. Legian is fun and a great party place but you will find very little culture and it is not a relaxing beach area.

Check out the Facebook page Sanurs Best Dining. There is a map there showing the location of over 450 restaurants in Sanur. Gopals, Zulu, Malaika Secret Moshka and Currry in Bali feature vegetarian dishes while nearly every restaurant in Sanur has at lest 4 vegetarian options for meals.

While playing on Facebook also join the page Bali Bali Bali or its sister page Sanur. That will give you up to date photos and comments.

Ubud is a 40 minute drive from Sanur. The scenery around Ubud is awesome. (Just be careful you do not get attacked by a feral yoga mat. They seem to be breeding in that area)

The drive east from Sanur to Candi Dasa is also a very picturesque trip. Check out Kommune or Komaneka in Keramas or even the Aero park during that particular drive.

Carlingford...
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Sanur or legian

Padma Legian anyday over Sanur. This resort has it all!

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,454 posts
866 reviews
8. Re: Sanur or legian

Based on your opening post, I would definitely choose Sanur. Sanur is more relaxing and less crowded. And yes it is easy to hire a driver to head up to Ubud and all around that area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
414 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Sanur or legian

Why not stay at both - start with 2 or 3 nights in Sanur and then head over to Legian. I've done it a few times and it's very easy to move from one area to the other and book a driver for the day and explore on the way from Sanur to Legian (maybe go via Ubud). It's a great way to experience both areas and you'll know for next time. We booked a quad bike beach tour and they picked us up from one area (Ubud), did the quadbikes, then dropped us to the next area (Legian) - all included in the normal price of the quadbiking.

Also have a look at the Niksoma Resort in Legian as it is a little cheaper than the Padma and the location is perfect.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Sanur or legian

Legian is surrounded by heavy traffic, sanur is a better base

Reply to: Sanur or legian
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted