We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

My US based family and I will be traveling to Kenya and other parts of East Africa in June. We all live in large, urban areas and are having significant difficulties finding a clinic that has the yellow fever vaccinations due to the acute shortage in the US right now.

Because we are traveling between countries we anticipate on being asked for our YF certificate, but does anyone know if this vaccination can be obtained at JKIA? Or do any of you have any other suggestions? We've been calling and calling and no one has it and now are very stressed.

Thanks in advance!

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

You can obtain the vaccination in Nairobi (I got mine at Nairobi City Hall). Port Health at Jomo Kenyatta International certainly used to give the vaccination. However you need to bear in mind that the vaccination takes 10 days to mature, so onward travel is likely to be restricted until the 10 days are up.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

Thank you, Kileleshwa. I appreciate your information and will continue to be diligent in looking for options here as our itinerary doesn't allow for a 10 day wait.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

I got my YF vaccination from a local Walgreens in New Jersey about a month ago. I was warned that supply was getting low. My kids have an appt next month at a Children's Hospital. The clinic there insists they have the vaccine. Just keep calling. It seemed the pricier clinics had the best supply.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

I am also facing this. I had to reschedule and now they are out. I am leaving in 3 weeks . GRR, it was hard enough to find someone in this area to give them I have to drive an hour away. Not sure how this is going to be handled will they just start turning away Americans because the vaccine is not available?

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
5. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

It's been years since I last had mine, but try at a 'teaching' hospital where most have Travel Clinics.

Am sure you tried the local Public Health Clinic and even private clinics.... but gotta keep on top of this.

If these fail, then as above - get once in Nairobi where it will sure be less expensive than if Stateside.

Good luck!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

Yes I have tried all of the above. I did get an appointment for next week at a travel clinic . The cost is $325 compared to free. I was also told that when these run out there is it no more and they already have people driving 100s of miles to get this vaccine. They are trying to import more from Europe. They do have another company who is now authorized to manufacture a similar vaccine but they will not be totally up and running until 2018

The problem with waiting until Nairobi is I will only have 8 days not 10.

I foresee a big problem soon. If you can get the vaccine do it now before they are gone.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
697 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

For Americans, it's already too late.

cnn.com/2017/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

SIWST852, where are you going from Kenya? If you didn't have the shot at all and moved to Tanzania from Kenya, Tanzania likely would admit you right after they gave you the shot. So, I don't really think you'd have a problem with 8 vs 10 days.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

I am going to South Africa. Capetown

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination shortage - Advice for travel needed

South Africa can admit travelers without a valid cert under their policy of Quarantine Surveillance during which time you must report an illness to a medical facility. QA lasts for the time required for your cert to become valid (2 days in your case) or 6 days. Still, I'd do what you're doing and get the jab before hand so you won't be thinking about the matter.

BTW, if you're 60 or over, your physician can write an exemption letter based on side effects related to age. Kenya is a low risk country for yellow fever and there hasn't been an outbreak since '92; furthermore you don't need the cert for entry to Kenya. South Africa accepts exemptions letters.

Edited: 24 May 2017, 11:34